Change font size   Print view

Silence

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Silence

Postby Gary Stone » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Can someone give me some pointers on a fanless power supply that will work in the HDR? I'm clueless.
Gary Stone

Re: Silence

Postby arjepsen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Hey.
I wouldn't recommend a fanless psu in there.
I did a lot of modding on my HDR, and among other things put in an almost noiseless psu instead of the old one.
However, the new one moves a lot less air than the old one, so the heat building up inside the HDR got a bit problematic.
It would be even worse with a fanless psu.

Instead I'd recommend trying a more regular "silent/quiet" psu.
Be carefull about dimensions though! the psu I bought was actually a bit too long, which gave me a world of trouble with the other stuff inside the HDR.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Gary Stone » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks for the info.
Gary Stone

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:56 pm

I wouldn't really recommend this, but being the cheap hack that I am, I went for a compromise in terms of cost vs. noise, and just bought a new CPU fan and a replacement fan that fits inside the power supply. Just whatever they had at Fry's.

I still have the boxes, and this is what I have in there now (and also in my d8b's by the way):
CPU: Raidmax 50mm, DC12V Cooling Fan (Model RF-5010-M)
PSU: Raidmax 80mm, DC12V Cooling Fan (Model RF-8025-M)

Since the 80mm fan has a regular 4-pin Molex style power connector with "Thru", I just ran the cable outside of the power supply, together with all the other wires, and connected it between the power that goes to the harddrive.

These fans made my HDR, MDR and two d8b units a lot quieter. Not quiet, but the most noise still comes from the IDE Harddrive, I think (I had an SSD drive in one, but it wouldn't pass the recording test, and failed at bootup a few times, so I put the regular HD back in).

So, if you're cheap like me, replacing only the fan instead of the whole Power Supply, is possible. Albeit a somewhat irresponsible hack ;) At least I still live to tell the tale, hahaha
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Gary Stone » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Hey. All 3 of my HDR's are heavily modified. SSD only, so there's no drive noise. But the power supply sounds like a fire breathing dragon now that everything else is so quiet. I could deal with the CPU fan, but the power supply is LOUD. Maybe it's just this particular one. I haven't booted my spares in a while. I'll A/B them. Thanks again.

G
Gary Stone

Postby arjepsen » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:42 pm

I managed to get a bigger heatsink on the cpu, and put a very quiet noctua 80mm fan on it.
However, to make space for it, I first bought an opt-24 card, which allowed me to completely remove the normal card-cage, and then move the small pcb normally placed over the cpu to that place.
This also gave me enough space to mount a much quieter psu. Combined with the CF card reader, my HDR is virtually silent.
It does have a bit of a heating problem though - not much airflow.
Here's a pic:
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG (Array MiB) Viewed 1820 times
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Gary Stone » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Very nice.
Gary Stone

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders