Change font size   Print view

HDR: MTC/MMC sync issues. My d8b's work fine w/ same signal.

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

HDR: MTC/MMC sync issues. My d8b's work fine w/ same signal.

Postby Y-my-R » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:30 am

I recently got an HDR, but was using two cascaded d8b's for some time already, and those worked great together, for the most part.

The d8b units sync to my computer just fine when I send MTC & MMC via MIDI from my DAW (Logic).

The HDR doesn't react to the same MTC/MMC signals when I press "Play" in Logic, but only updates the Time-Code display once I hit stop (and the time where I stopped is displayed correctly).

I have tried all the MTC/MMC settings I could find on the HDR (Sync Menu, all On/Off combinations tried), checked manuals etc. I don't know what's going on. I also tried using a separate MIDI port for the HDR only, or daisy chaining to a d8b that works. Same result (except for the MMC stop commands not arriving at the computer, when the HDR is in the chain).

To be clear, my word clock sync works perfectly fine between all involved units, and they sync up nicely to the same master clock for syncing digital audio. But the MIDI Timecode and MIDI Machine Control information needed to transmit/receive start and stop commands, and sync up the song position while playing don't seem to work right.

If I just use a single d8b and the HDR, and connect MIDI in a loop (without the computer), they sync up perfectly fine. But somehow, the HDR doesn't like the sync signals coming from Logic, while the d8b's have no problem syncing to the same signal. What's so different about how the HDR processes MMC/MTC?

This has been plaguing me for days now... does anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: HDR: MTC/MMC sync issues. My d8b's work fine w/ same sig

Postby arjepsen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 am

Try with the HDR as master clock?
Are you using the apogee clock card in the d8b?
Sure everything is terminated right? (I presume you're using the bnc connectors?)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:56 am

Thanks for the response arjepsen! Also, sorry for the delay. I haven't been on here for a few days.

As I said, though... it's not about Word Clock Sync and which device is Master for Word Clock Sync. That part works perfectly fine with all the connected devices.

It's MTC (MIDI Time Code) that is the problem. Or maybe MMC (MIDI Machine Control). So, either the sync signal that tells devices where in the time-line of a song they're supposed to be, and/or how to react to a "Play" or "Stop" command, etc. Something doesn't seem to want to work with that.

Not sure if I need to get it working anymore, though. I had planned to use this HDR, and another MDR in the rehearsal room, to record drums easily, and then use the unit at home, to transfer the tracks to the computer via ADAT optical.
However, looks like I'll get access to a PreSonus StudioLive mixer for the rehearsal room, so I'll be able to record to an SD card, and just load directly into PreSonus Studio One. Much easier.

I really appreciate your response and that you were trying to help, though! Thank you!!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:50 pm

you're welcome :-)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders