Change font size   Print view

Needs Help with FTP, using Windows XP

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Needs Help with FTP, using Windows XP

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:03 am

Hi all;

I continue to have no luck getting my HDR to connect to my Windows XP machine as a Network Place. My d8b connects no problem.

I have a Cross-over cable.

I get several different messages from my Windows machine when attempting to do this.

I am attempting to connect using the standard IP address, 10.10.28.20, and 10.10.28.20e for the external drive.

I have started the "Run FTP" in the HDR pull down.

I go to "My Computer", then "Create a Network Place".

Sometimes, when I create the connection I get...

"Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you have typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.
Details: the computer is disconnected from the network."

Other times I get...

" The web page you requested is not available offline.
To view this page click connect"

I am thinking it is the Network Card in the HDR. I do not have a spare "Mackie approved" Ethernet card and am unsure of what substitutes would work.

Would the network card from a d8b work? I have thought about installeng the "known working" card from my d8b but thought I should consult before doing that.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Needs Help with FTP, using Windows XP

Postby Old School » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 am

Hi Bruce,
I've never been able to get the stupid FTP to work either. I hate the time spent transferring files to my computer just to be able to use a plug-in and I hate the slowness of multiple menus and daw controllers vs. what I can do with the console. What if you could use your VST plug-ins through a piece of hardware which had analog in and outs and would load the plug-ins as a stand alone program allowing control over its parameters? Would this be of interest to anyone or I am just a dinosaur to want to work in this manner?

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:59 am

Hey Mike;

I'm old school as well, no pun intended!. In fact I don't know what VST is!

All I want, I think, is to be able to connect my HDR & d8b to a network so that I can backup files.

I have the d8b connected and working. I had the HDR connected and working at one point. Then it didn't and I con't it to work now (so far).

I am suspecting the Ethernet card and have no spares and haven't seen any anywhere. If you, or anyone else knows where I can get one let me know. I will send an email to Gary Stone, the fellow who is helping Terri with Eric's pile of stuff, but not just yet. I figure he has a mountain of stuff to sift through and he lives a piece away.

Anyway, the HDR / PC thing should work and I keep at it till cows come home cause that's just the kind of guy I am!

What the heck is a VST an what is all that stuff after that, that you said?

Cheers and thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Bruce,
The rage these days is to mix "in the box", in other words to take your recorded tracks into a Digital Audio Workstation or DAW, which is just a fancy way of saying a computer with an audio editing program installed and usually an upgraded soundcard interface for audio in and out. The main advantage to this (and as I see it the only advantage) is being able to use the many great plug-ins available now (VST is just one type of plug-in, there are many others). There are emulations of 1176 limiters and LA2A compressors and a host of really good reverb programs and most are a fraction of the cost of a similar piece of hardware. What I don't like about "mixing in the box" is workflow. I can't see and control all the things I need to see and control at once like I can with the console and moving a virtual fader with a mouse will never be like pushing an actual fader. The other problem today is that there are no true studio consoles out there for the mid-level studio. Where are the tape ins and outs? The Presonus studio live will not even record the sound through the channel strip, it only records the "raw" sound, so if you have your drum kit all EQ'd and gated just right for the particular session drummer, you have to do it all over at mixdown. What I want is a piece of hardware that hosts plugins as stand-alone effects to use with the D8B at mix.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi again,
Evidently there is a word limit on posts. At any rate, I think I can build this piece of hardware, with analog ins and outs it will be sort of like a universal effect, becoming whichever plug-in you want to use at the time. I am not sure yet if I can get the software to allow daisy chaining so that you can use more than one effect at the time but that is my hope.

Have a blessed day,
Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Also, I apologize, I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread with my off topic rant. Hope someone out there can help you with the FTP. It never worked for me.

Have a blessed day,
Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:53 am

Hey Mike;

It's all good.

Thanks for the tutorial. Now I know what you mean.

I do have Sonar X3 and Sonar Artist. I use Artist as a place to master my CD's. Sad isn't it.

I tried using it for some editing and found it way easier to us my HDR. As you said the workflow is easier, BUT it is also familiarisation. I have always used a desk and I think for the time I have left that is all I will use.

I use to own about half a dozen URIE 1176 and a few LA2A's. I also had several Pultec EQ. What I would do to have all that stuff back, but I had to sell them as I needed the money at the time. Oh well!

I will continue my quest to get the FTP working again. Funk has been landing a hand but I think the Ethernet card is shot. I have to find another one.

Good to hear from you and high-jack whenever it moves ya!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Hey Bruce.
One quick check would be the "ping" command.
Start a console on the windows pc. (run the command "cmd").
Then type:
ping x.x.x.x
substituting the x's for the ip address you have set up in the hdr.
If you get a response in the line of "reply from...." then you pc is communicating with the network card, and the problem might be in the whole software setup of windows.
I have ftp working on my system, but it did take some fiddling before it worked.
Part of it was setting up my router to reserve a specific ip address for the HDR.

Anyways, you could also go the CF card road, and just use a card reader to back up your data :-)

Regards
Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:57 am

Hey Anders;

Thanks for the detailed tip I will give that a try.

The XP FTP software found my d8b with the same hookup (different IP address of course), but I have nothing to lose as it doesn't work as of yet.

I'd like to do the CF card thing. It may the only way for me to go if the FTP doesn't work out. I will need details on what to purchase but I know it is in this forum.

Thanks again. I'll post back after the "PING" thing!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders