Change font size   Print view

front panel hangs, but software keeps running.

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

front panel hangs, but software keeps running.

Postby arjepsen » Sun May 07, 2017 5:32 pm

Hey.
I'm having some funky problem with my HDR.
It boots fine, and the interface pops up.
I press play, and it start to play just fine, but after about 10 seconds, the HDR front panel hangs (the lights stays on and doesnt' change). However, the software seems to keep running just fine - I can navigate around, press stat and stop etc., although no audio gets sent out.
Anyone had any similar experience?
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: front panel hangs, but software keeps running.

Postby arjepsen » Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Ok, seems I found and solved the problem.
As mentioned in other posts, I've sort of extensively hacked my HDR for quiter and cooler operation:

I've installed a pentium 3 processor (which runs cooler than the original, even though clocked higher).
I had some problem with glitches when running at 48khz, but that turned out to be the front side bus set at 100mhz. I jumpered it back to 66mhz and that sorted out that problem.

I also installed a opt-24 card, so I could get rid of the whole card-cage. (I detached the from the card-cage, and put it in an electrically safe plastic bag), then I made a thin wooden plate for the opening where the card cage had been, and put the mouse/remote connector pcb on the wooden plate. This opened up the space above the cpu, so I could install a larger heatsink. I put a 80mm Noctua fan on this, so I could get more airflow, and I'm running it at 7volts so it's virtually silent.

On top of that, the chipset cooler was just a passive heat sink that got quite hot. I removed that and installed a new one with a very quiet fan on it.

I had also noticed, that some components in the area of the bios chip got very hot - too hot for my liking - so I installed another 80mm Noctua fan to blow over that area - also 7volts.

Now back the the recent problem - I noticed the lcd front panel would start to dim before i hung, so I suspected that there might be a problem with the power supplied to it.
I had installed a new BeQuiet psu which also is virtually inaudible. However, being a modern psu, it only had a few old molex connectors - the rest being sata power connectors. So I had used dividers to distribute the power to the rest of the system. So that particular rail of the psu was powering everything... Hmmm..
I then moved the fans to the motherboard fan connectors instead.
And voila - problem solved!
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders