Change font size   Print view

SDR clocking issues

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

SDR clocking issues

Postby gerax » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi all

searching the internet in the desperate hope of finding some answers to the issue I’m having with my trusty SDR...

Here’s the thing: I use the SDR as a backup recorder in my live recording rig. Primary recorder is a MacBook Pro/Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt interface.
Now, I use the 8 mic pres on the Apogee and an external Focusrite preamp (ISA 428) with AD converter card.
I feed the Mackie the Apogee mic pres and the FF pre via ADAT to both recorders so that I can have the same exact signal on both.

This is where the fun begins: I tried every possible clocking setup, including ADAT A, ADAT B, WC and Internal but as soon as I connect the second ADAT equipped preamp I get clocking issues in the form of spikes on the Mackie (the Apogee works fine and I can have all 16 channels in Pro Tools) and no signal.

I tried to use the Apogee as a master clock and feed word clock to both the FF preamp and the Mackie, I tried to use the FF as master clock but no luck.

Reading on the scarce infos I’ve been able to find on the internet I learnt the SDR always had clocking issues.
I know I’m making up a pretty involved setup as I’m sending digital streams to two recorders from multiple preamps, and that I could use analog outputs from the FF preamp but…you know…I cannot stand it whan things that should work aren’t working the way I want them.

Has anybod managed to successfully feed 16/24 tracks via ADAT to the SDR? If so, what clocking setup did you use. Do you think a dedicated WC generator could fix this?

Thanx

L.
gerax

Re: SDR clocking issues

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:33 pm

gerax wrote:Do you think a dedicated WC generator could fix this?

Don't take this as the Bottom Line, but from what you're describing it sounds about right. Good quality coax cables properly terminated & quality 'T' connector(s) would help reduce if not eliminate any possibility coax noize/interference. Once you've got that 'heartbeat' solid in your setup, only the audio configuration and physical connects remain. At face value anyways... :geek:

Hope this was helpful in some sorta way...

However, you knew it was coming so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your Actual Mileage May Vary..."

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders