Change font size   Print view

SDR Motherboard battery replacement

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

SDR Motherboard battery replacement

Postby Steam Radio » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:40 pm

Does anyone of the forum have experience in replacing the motherboard bios battery on an SDR?, seems it's different to the HRD and MDR in that the battery doesn't clip in but looks to be possibly soldered in and the retaining clip has 2 small punch marks on the top, also the battery is a smaller version used in the other recorders, doesn't seem to want to just slide out and don't want to tug it to hard in case I split the solder.grateful for any input. Battery might be a CR 1216

Steam Radio

Re: SDR Motherboard battery replacement

Postby Steam Radio » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 am

The other possibility would be to unsolder the battery and replace it with a CR2032 in holder with leads soldered to the original contacts or even a battery with leads attached as per the pictures, is it possible to substitute a CR 1216 with a CR 2032?
Cheers.
Last edited by Steam Radio on Mon May 04, 2015 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Radio

Postby Steam Radio » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Just giving this question a bump hoping someone on the board who knows can give me some info,

Is it possible to substitute a CR 1216 with a CR 2032 to power CMOS backup,? any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks,
Paul,
Steam Radio

Postby Crash » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:22 pm

If the voltage is the same, don't see why not. I did a different battery inside a Lexicon M300 after I put a battery holder in there. I can't remember what the original was but went to a CR 2032.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Steam Radio » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks for your input Crash, I thought it would be dictated by the voltage and not the model or size of the battery but just wanted clarification that another battery could still do the job, will update with photos once the job is done so that it will be accessible for other SDR owners in the same position,
Steam Radio

Postby Steam Radio » Mon May 04, 2015 2:05 am

Updates on my progress for info only, I have managed to find (after much searching) a supplier of the correct batteries and a holder to replace the identical matching battery in my SDR from an electrical spares company called conrad-electronic.co.uk,
This should cut down of the effort to replace the old bios battery with a bigger version and keep it all neat and tidy on the board, I will update with photos once I have made progress, the parts should be with me in the next few days.

Steam Radio

Postby carl » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:47 pm

Did replacing the battery work oK? Do you have to/can you set up the bios settings after replacing the battery?
carl

Postby Steam Radio » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:56 am

Hi Carl. haven't got around to completing the repair due to moving house, but as soon as its complete I will post the update with details and photos, but it may take a while I'm afraid.
Steam Radio

Postby Steam Radio » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:27 pm

Finally the new battery socket and correct battery is in place, should have taken a photo before replacing the circuit board above but you get the idea, so its all back together and this part at least apears to be a success.

Steam Radio

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders