Change font size   Print view

SDR stuck in USB mass storage mode

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

SDR stuck in USB mass storage mode

Postby Steam Radio » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and am a new user of used Mackie gear so learning as I buy more units, I picked up an SDR that had a failed (or as least a failing) internal original HD, (I have a replacement HD of the same model and make as the original on the way) but somehow I put the unit into USB mass storage mode while getting to grips with the unit and its remained in that state ever since with no way to get back to normal operation as far as I can tell , also the word REBOOT doesn't show up on the lcd screen to exit that mode either,
Hope someone has some advice,
Cheers,
Paul
Also arrived today in the post is my copy of Mike Rivers last HD manual with a view to get a HDR as well in the near future but of course there is next to no mention of the SDR, I new that when I bought it but hoped I could extrapolate some info from it with regard to the SDR.
Steam Radio

Re: SDR stuck in USB mass storage mode

Postby Steam Radio » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:12 pm

Forgot to mention if I leave the original HD installed and switch on it comes up as "Init failed (f) SDR halted" with the obvious click of death, and If I then disconnect the HD it just goes back to "USB mass storage mode" on start up.
Steam Radio

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:30 am

Hi Paul;

If you haven't already you can search this form and the Maintenance section of the forum with your questions. This is a pretty good source for info and lots of great people who may be able to help.

I do not have an SDR so I can't help you with your problem other than to say that Mike Rivers is the guy who can point you in the right direction.

If you Google (or whatever), his name you should find his website and how to contact him. He may not have the answers but may know who does.

Let me know if you can't get hold of him and I will send you to another fellow who may be able to help but start with Mike.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.
Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Graham on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Steam Radio » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:47 pm

Thank you for your time and advice Bruce,
I had Mike's book arrive this week and found it a great source if bits of info that cant be found elsewhere so it s all good, and having searched here and the maintenance section I'm getting to grips and slowly getting to know the equipment better all the time so it onwards and upwards ,also I have discovered a few threads that have given me a better insight into the inner workings of the SDR and how it speaks to the outside world through the D8B,
I believe a combination of the OPT.8 cards and midi appear to be the way to get it working once the HD has been replaced,

(this post was delayed from 4 hours ago , forgot to press send)
Last edited by Steam Radio on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Radio

Postby Steam Radio » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Ok new HD is in formatted via my windows 7 laptop to FAT32 all good, now installed into the SDR and still it defaults to USB mass storage mode with no way to exit that mode, I have plugged in my laptop to the usb on the SDR and it sees the hard drive as a mass storage device named NEW VOLUME F so I know that its working ok all I have to do is figure out how to exit "Mass Storage Mode" and we could be on to something.
I have been getting Mike Rivers details from the web so will try to get some info that way if he is up for it, I gather he's a pretty nice chap from what I've read and I like his humor through his book. More to come................
Steam Radio

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi Paul;

This is me just me trying to help so if you have already done this please forgive me.

I looked at the manual for the Operation SDR (I found it on the WEB) and it appears that that the SDR can be put into and out of USB Mass Storage Mode. Please check pages 45 & 46 for what I read.

This may be the answer or, at least, more things "Checked Off" the "I did that already" list.

I'm assuming you have installed the operating system software? You never said but I assume you did!

Cheers and post back.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Steam Radio » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:48 pm

So I'm sitting down reading Mike's book for the last 2 hours and I get to page 47 ( you'll laugh at this Bruce) and it suddenly dawns on me like a light from the heavens THE SDR IS A PC and needs an operating system, I rush to the office and check the forum to get to the Mackie SDR downloads page and you just told me what I should have realised all along , Now I know I'm new to the Mackie system but I feel like such a dumb ass , a lesson in Occam's Razor if ever there was one and no doubt about it,Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!

So if I'm correct I install version 1.0.4 first and I also see that there is a newer upgrade version 1.2.4 Feb 7, 2003 but version 1.0.4 must be installed first.
Steam Radio

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Hi Paul;

Yes, Software is a good thing! I do not know about version with the SDR but... the book I was speaking of is the MACKIE SDR OPERATION MANUAL not Mike River's book. His book is in addition to the Mackie Manuals.

Look at the Mackie Manual page 45 & 46. It speaks to your MASS USB stoage question.

Also, you should change the Battery that is inside the SDR. This keeps the BIOS alive.

When you change the battery check to make sure that the setting for the SDR are correct. What is correct you may ask??? I don't know but it should be listed somewhere. Either in Mike's book or the SDR Manual or on Mackie's Website.

As you said... these are basically computers and need to have all these things checked. I do mine (I have 2 HDR's and 3 d8b's) once a year.

Post back. Hope all is getting better!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Steam Radio » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:44 am

Thanks for all your info Brian, it's got me in the right direction, the replacement HD that arrived today has gone RAW so looks like I will have to purchase another replacement so as soon as it gets here I will re install the Op system and also take your advice and change the battery at the same time,
Cheers
Paul
Steam Radio

Postby mackiesdruser » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:40 am

Did you solve the problem ? I'm having the same issue ! any info will be appreciated !
mackiesdruser

Next

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders