Change font size   Print view

SDR stuck in USB mass storage mode

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Re: SDR stuck in USB mass storage mode

Postby Steam Radio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:07 pm

I really feel unqualified to continue to comment, and hope that someone will chime in who has some experience with an SDR... for what it's worth, here's more wild speculation from my vast imaginary world ;)

Speculate away I'm just extremely grateful for any input and very much appreciate you taking the time

I don't "really" know what that $SDR$$.$$$ file is all about, but if we're dealing with "Dynamic Firmware" that gets loaded into the chip on every boot, then that data would need to be stored somewhere, while the unit is off. So, it could be that.

I'm really not sure how it works either if I'm honest, its just educated guess work but you seem to have much more working experience of these things than I do so any idea could actually crack this, it's all worth a try.
But I'm lead to believe that the $SDR$$.$$$ file is what would be on the Harddrive on production and the operating system which is stored on the EEPROM reads it when the Harddrive boots up and as it's missing from mine nothing can happen and the file was never release by Mackie, the only stuff they released where the continuing updates over time as extra operation modes where introduced, apparently the SDR was originally released for sale with only half capabilities in operation and they introduced the others over time.

So, my guess would be, that the SDR writes the content of the EEPROM to that $SDR$$.$$$ file (after it successfully booted once - USB mode wouldn't count, I'd think), so it knows that it successfully booted off of that before, and can load it back in, if it needs to. Either on every boot, or possibly it could be a firmware backup, that it looks for when the battery fails, and the firmware data was lost on power-down . (in case it loads the firmware into the EEPROM once and keeps it there after shutdown, via the battery).

So, if that was the case, then it's possible that the SDR.FW file and the $SDR$$.$$$ file have the same content. But possibly in a different format (or the SDR.FW file could have some sort of extraction app in it, that reads the data from a different section of the file, and writes it to the chip - so, maybe not a straight 1:1 copy process).

I think ( and I'm only guessing ) your understanding in the last part of the top paragraph is correct the initial programme is permanently stored In the EEPROM and reads the updates from the hard drive, so if the hard drive failed the system can be recovered by putting the SDR into flash recover mode.
But I would have thought that would make the EEPROM write the initial software back to the Harddrive, but I'm not Software / Firmware savvy so I'm only guessing.

Also I thought EEPROMs didnt need a battery back up as whatever is written to it is committed to a non volitile memory? is that correct?

Do both files happen to have the same file-size? If not, then they're probably either for a different purpose, or in a different format (or one includes that extraction app or something).

Both of the SDRREC.FW (227KB) and SDRSTD.FW (392KB) files are different sizes but I have no idea what size the $SDR$$.$$$ file is or even what it is?! In fact it could be just a generic symbol representation of what should actually be there whereas the $ is actually a substitute for a number or a letter of some sort.

What I'd try (but there's a bit of a risk, in case the EEPROM can't handle it and might need to be replaced or re-flashed afterwards), would be to rename the SDR.FW file to $SDR$$.$$$, then reboot, and see what happens (if you're willing to risk bricking the EEPROM).

Funny you should say that I did try that idea and renamed the SDR.FW file but it didn't do anything as far as I can tell I don't think it bricked the EEPROM I think it just didn't read it because it didn't mean anything to the EEPROM

If you have an Editor that is used for development (e.g. BBEdit on the Mac... that's free. Not sure if that, or something like that also exists on PC), then I'd try to open it with that, and compare what's going on inside the files. (Or just try Textedit first... sometimes these files are simple text files).

That's an area of editing these kind of files that I've never ever got into I wouldn't know what I was doing I would be starting from scratch and would have to educate myself on the whole process, so that could be something for later down the road but I'm going to remember what you posted here and look into it.

Stupid question, though (...my tech support past taught me to always ask this stuff, no matter how ridiculous, sorry...) the USB cable is DEtached from the SDR when booting, right? I could imagine that it boots straight to USB, whenever a cable is plugged into the USB port.

If the USB cable isn't connected, and renaming the file doesn't help, then I really don't know what it could be, and should refrain from responding again.

An excellent and much overlooked point, in fact it doesn't matter whether the USB cable is plugged in or not, the machine defaults to the USB mass storage mode on switch on whether the cable is attached to a laptop or not.

Maybe someone on here would at least be kind enough to send you their $SDR$$.$$$ file, so you can put it on your drive. Maybe it would actually boot from that, if that IS a firmware backup. Then it would still point to the battery not helping to hold the firmware in the chip, though.

Yes I'm hoping someone has the file that I can get from them and give it a whirl that way

Where are you measuring that the battery supplies power to the board? Or to ask the other way around... I'd think that if you just hold the pins of a multi-meter to the positive & negative posts from your battery holder, then you'd get a reading, no matter if power is actually supplied to where it's needed. So, I'd follow the traces on the board, to see to what component it goes, and then measure on the pins that connect to that component, to see if voltage is still present. Having said that, though - I'm terrible with electronics, and have heard before that you can fry something, just by measuring with a multimeter in the wrong spot on a board. So... please try at your own risk... or ask someone who has a clue what to do or not to do with electronics before trying that.

In fact a friend of mine who fixes valve amps for hi-fi enthusiasts came over with his multimeter and measured it for me, he measured the battery socket to see if power was getting through to the two contacts and then he measured the battery further along the traces on the circuit board to where they connected to the next component in the chain, and he told me he was getting a reading of 2.6 V from a fresh battery

Sorry... I think that's all I can contribute to this, since I just don't know the SDR at all (I understand that it's non-PC hardware and that there's likely no PC-style BIOS, etc. - but that doesn't really help with figuring out what might be wrong, sorry!)

Again, best of luck! Hopefully you'll get it working!

You're correct about there being no BIOS so it doesn't operate like a PC in any way as I may have mentioned in a previous post this was actually created by a completely different team that did the HDR or the MDR and the D8B quite awhile after those three units were introduced onto the market.

You've been absolutely brilliant in taking so much time and effort to give me your ideas about how to chase down the issues with this SDR and you've given me many ideas for continuing so a big thank you for that.

I think my next two options would be either to get hold of another one of these in a non-working condition but also hope that some kind soul that already has an SDR would be willing to help me with a copy of what ever operating system they have on their hard drive, i've had this SDR in this condition for five years so if nothing else I'm tenacious and with the age of this Mackie gear being tenacious is an advantage, I'll keep going with it, thanks again my friend , your time is very much appreciated.
Steam Radio

Postby Mikli » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 am

Hi there "Steam Radio"
First time for me here on this forum.

Any news with your problem ?
I also have a sdr24/96 and start it up y´day to see if everything was ok before i put up a sales ad on this recorder.
Of course something happen and I fiddle around with some buttons and then I get stucked in the usb mass storage mode.
I tried the update 1.00-1.04, but my machine never show the reboot sign/button after the updates, I have to shut it off and then restart it again but the machine is still stucked in the "usb" mode, really bad.
Have you tried to contact Mackie if they can send you a new fw eprom ? or is it a trip to the garbage station with this unit ?.
Mikli

Postby Mikli » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:14 am

Hi there,

I post that I have the same problem as you with the stucked usb mode on my sdr24 for a few month ago.

I spend a lot of time testing but without any positive results.

But today I give it like the last try and NOW IT WORKS, I´m so happy because now I can sell it.

What I did was and pehaps I was lucky to have a computer with Win XP:

1. I download all firmware updates
2. I connect it to the computer and it show up in my explorer
3. i Copy and rename the first file in the 1.0-1.04
4. disconnect it from the computer with the application built in winxp
5. sdr24 of course dosn´t reboot so I shut it off
6. I power on the sdr24 while I´m holding the 2 outer arrows
7. Sdr24 ask me if I want to recover, I press yes
8. Recover successfully ended and sdr24 reboot and still of course in usb mode
9. because of the usb mode i could see it immediately in my explorer on my computer.
10. Copy next file from 1.0-1.04 and rename it.
11. Disconnect it from the computer
12. I power on the sdr24 while I´m holding the 2 outer arrows
Sdr24 ask me if I want to recover, I press yes
13. Recover successfully ended and sdr24 reboot and still of course in usb mode
14. Continue like this with all the updates but when I upgrade to 1.21 I get a error at the end, but the sdr24 anyway reboot and everything looks like normal, no usb mode.
15. So, I check on the about page and FW mention 1.0-1.21, strange
16. I decided to take the chance to put the recorder in USB mode again so I could do the last update to 1.24 and after I copy the file the the HDD I press Reboot on the sdr24. Voila everything is back to normal again, I´m so happy.

Hope this works for you too.
Mikli

Postby Mikli » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:17 am

Hi Steam Audio,

I hope this solve your problem too.

I don´t think Win XP is important.

If your SDR shows up in your explorer then it´s only to start.

I think you can try to test the 1.21 update first (if you know that you have the 1.04 FW already on your SDR).

Otherwise you follow my instructions (i post it in the forum)

It´s only the 2 files in the 1.0-1.04 firmware that you need to rename before you upgrade, all the other one only copy to SDR and then disconnect from the computer(software) and then shut off the SDR, Then press the 2 outher buttons and at the same time power on your SDR and answer yes when you are asked to recover/upgrade.
When it´s done the SDR reboot by it self into usb mode and you should be able to see it in the computers explorer again, then repeat the steps.

I get an error message after 1.21 update but suddenly the reboot button was visible on SDR, Press that one.

I took the chance to put it into usb mode again and did the 1.24 update and now it´s running as normal.

If you want i can send you the contents on my hdd to you.

Good Luck and I really hope it works for you
Mikli

Postby Steam Radio » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:49 am

Hi Mikli,
Iv'e just spent the last 2 hours following your detailed instructions and it worked like dream first try,
I must have spent countless hours installing and switching the SDR off and on about a hundred times over the last 10 months trying to get it working to no avail, and now you posted the info to me with a slight reworking of procedure and it worked first time, truly amazing and exasperating at the same time, thank you so much for sending the info and sharing with the forum, this should help everyone who is having the same issue and save them countless hours of wasted time.
Thanks again, your'e a genius.
Very best regards,
Paul.
i'll also post this reply on the forum thread to let everyone know it works.
Steam Radio

Postby Mikli » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 am

Hi there Steam Audio,

I have read all your posts regarding this error and all members answers to help you solve this problem. The only thing I can say is , I never give up, I´m that type of person, but this was pure luck. I´m really happy that it also works for you and perhaps to members with the same problem too.

And I can say, this recorder has served me very very well for the last 15 years but as a Analog-Digital converter from my old Tascam Mixer - Computer thru it´s ADAT interface but now I have slim down my studio.

All of you, Take care

Michael
Mikli

Postby Steam Radio » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:04 am

Well you did some great work getting it sorted, do you know how your SDR went wrong in the first place? just wondred if there is a common reason why the SDR would not boot properly after working so well for you for 15 years and then go wrong, could be worth knowing.
Steam Radio

Postby Mikli » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:29 am

Late night now here and I´m drinking some martini haha, but I think what I did was try to add another HDD to the second bay or tried to change the first HDD to something bigger in size before I post my sales AD for the recorder, But now I think it´s no problom only follow the steps and then you have a working SDR with a 20,40 or 80GB HDD, I even tried to format the HDD (from inside SDR) after all the FW update was done and it´s work. To test, only remove the HDD and add another HDD and see how it works out
Mikli

Previous

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders