Change font size   Print view

Lock up/reboot

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Re: Lock up/reboot

Postby Crash » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Bruce Graham wrote:Hey Crash;

Great Trouble-shooting" skills. I will have a look at my HDR and see if I have the Postage-stamp card but it will not be til Monday as I'm away until then.

I will check here to see if you connected with Mr. Rivers and if anything is new or improved.

There is also Eric Russ for info.

Glad the Crown is still around!

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, not my first rodeo inside of Mackie gear, though I am not really a tech perse but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I did spend my fair share of time on the floor of the mothership back in the day working on the eight buss and the d8b.

My back plane in a Rev 1 and the one in the other HDR is Rev. 3. I was able to bypass the little board and still get the HDR to recognize the cards, so I am curious as to what the purpose is.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:29 pm

Sent up a flair over at PRW where Mike seems to be these days. He was sort of dismayed by it as well but leaned toward a possible power supply issue.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Well, I hate to admit defeat but I am stumped... For fun, I swapped power supplies ('cause I am sadistic that way) though the delta between mine and the loaner was a whopping .10 volts and things went from weird to truly bizzare. My unit went from locking up and rebooting to throwing some sort of audio engine performance failure. It would play from 10-20 seconds and then just stop (no rebooting it's own) and throw the code on the GUI. It appeared that the audio was also dropping out on the GUI meters, probably the unit meters as well.

So I put things back to the way they came from the mothership, put my internal hard drive in the loaner as well the DIO.8 cards and the extra stick of RAM that was in mine and I am back to both machines working. I just can't figure it out. I guess it is possible the MB is on it's way out and since it is the only thing I didn't swap about at this point, who knows. I just don't have the energy to go any further with it. I am off to the liquor store.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:37 pm

Crash;

Stay with the single malts! It's early in the morning and you can put a single malt on your cereal!

I'm not a electronic tech but could it be possible that there is a bad or failing component on the MB that when loaded with 3 cards causes it to fail. Voltage drop or current drop, or short under load? Is another MB as a test a possibility? I have seen MB's for sale on Ebay but it's a bit of coin! One could almost purchase another working machine for the price of an MB.

If I had a spare I's send it to you!

Don't let this kill the spirit!

Cheers man.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:22 pm

I just hate admitting defeat.... Luckily the donor unit comes from a buddy of mine that has moved onto a Logic rig so I am not dead in the water. I don't have the energy to swap out the MB at this point and with my luck, I will end up with two jacked up units. My hand looks like it has been put in a blender after being inside the HDR. There are no smooth edges in there, so for now, I am throwing in the towel. When Rivers seemed befuddled, I knew it was ugly.

Bruce, thanks for being an alternative ear to bounce this off of. Appreciate your help. Have a e-single malt on me.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby the boss » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Hi

Try to Reset bios and adjust it for the hdr again. Let it reboot one time before you make the default hdr adjustments...
the boss

Postby Crash » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:52 pm

the boss wrote:Hi

Try to Reset bios and adjust it for the hdr again. Let it reboot one time before you make the default hdr adjustments...

I have spent days on this so I am not sure I follow your suggestion here. The amount of of times I have been in the BIOS and reboots are not at issue to what is going on with this unit.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Mon May 11, 2015 2:30 am

ahhh crash you do so much to help other people with their problems, im sorry i cant even guess to help you other than a strip down and put back together of every screw just to cancel out earth probs/bad connections, which im sure you have well passed, ram is a cheap swap try,
if all fails get some Timothy Taylor's Landlord beer, this really helps me at times, here is a link...
http://timothytaylor.co.uk/landlord
i would prescribe about 5/6 i think depending on how close your hdr is to the window/wheely bin :o
hope you get sorted soon ;)
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Postby Crash » Mon May 11, 2015 1:48 pm

I threw this unit in the corner shortly after admitting defeat. I will come back to it one more time and swap out the HD in it at some point. I swapped parts (including RAM) between mine and my friends until I was blue in the face and none of the behavior of the unit made sense as you can read about through out this thread. As I type this, it may time to turn this unit into one of those fancy SSD units and can the old HD system.

Even Mike Rivers was stumped with this one so I don't fee too bad about not solving it....yet.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders