Change font size   Print view

DELETING FILES

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

Re: DELETING FILES

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Phil.c wrote:Actually, the only reason I need to delete files in the folder is this:- My external HD is on the brink, I want to recover as many files from it before it packs up for good. Some files transfer to the internal HD easily but this particular file has more than one in it and when I transfer it, it stops in the same place and that dredded clicking comes from the HD and the HDR freezes!

Phil

Sounds like that drive is on the verge of a catastrophic failure, so yeah... I'd move that data off that thing post-haste. Get yourself a USB interface for the drive so you can mount it on your Windows box. I use this one for my Linux PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152

This'll let you mount and view the filesystem of the drive, and give you the opportunity to transfer any/all data from it. Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about, and I'll weigh in with anything I might be able to add...

And you KNEW it was coming, so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 pm

I've seen on youtube how it connects to a pc and HD, so have I got this right, it transferes files from the HD to a pc, then it's possible to transfer again those files from the MacPro to another HD.

When I try to do a transfer from my HDR's external HD files to internal HD, it stops downloading halfway through, won't that be the same case with this interface, ie the HD crashes?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Phil.c wrote:I've seen on youtube how it connects to a pc and HD, so have I got this right, it transferes files from the HD to a pc, then it's possible to transfer again those files from the MacPro to another HD.

When I try to do a transfer from my HDR's external HD files to internal HD, it stops downloading halfway through, won't that be the same case with this interface, ie the HD crashes?

Phil

Dunno Phil... the best course of action (IMHO) would be to get that external drive mounted on your Mac so you can view the files... and then do what you gotta do... get that external drive cleaned off (copy any files you'd need)... and then convert your HDR to utilize SSD's... ;-)

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Rivers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:03 am

A bit off topic here, but a really good tool for disk management, if you don't have a "dock" for the removable drive, is a USB-to-IDE (and most of them also adapt to SATA) adapter. It's not something that you'll use every day since you need to remove the drive from the carrier so you can get to the connectors (it's only a few screws but it takes a few minutes and a little practice) but it's plug-and-play with a Mac or PC and lets you delete or copy, and maybe even rescue files.

Here's an example:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/2859 ... DE_Adapter
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Hello Mike Rivers

its been a long time since your last visit with us
happy to hear from you. are you doing ok

Joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanks Mike, that looks easy enough, i'll get one.

Good to see you calling in.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders