Change font size   Print view

The Last Mackie Hard Disk Recorder manual

Discussion board for the HDR/MDR/SDR hard disk recorders users.

The Last Mackie Hard Disk Recorder manual

Postby warre » Thu May 16, 2024 7:41 pm

Hi all,

Is the manual somewhere available?

Thanks,greetings from Belgium
warre

Re: The Last Mackie Hard Disk Recorder manual

Postby Y-my-R » Fri May 17, 2024 12:58 am

It has been shared on this forum a few times in the past, but if I recall correctly, expiring download links were used.

The author of this book, Mike Rivers, passed away a few years ago. While some might think that this turns anything created by him into a free-for-all for everyone else, technically, the family of a diseased person usually manage the "estate" of the family member, which typically also includes their intellectual rights (such as books they have written).

(I have been dealing with "online shops" for content in the past, and we had a content creator pass away... and then had to deal with the "estate" for revenue the content created after his death, etc. So, the content didn't just become free, because that creator died. It's usually more complicated than that).

In other words - while it's always meant well, when someone shares that book here, technically, they could still get in trouble for it - which is why I would never personally publicly upload copyrighted material like that.

My suggestion would be, to find posts where that book was previously shared, and then send a Direct Message to the person who shared it, to see if they can send it to you, directly (so there's no public record of it).

...but who knows... maybe someone else on here will read this and want to prove me wrong by uploading the manual somewhere ;)

I kinda hope so...

Sorry, I'm sure that this is not what you wanted to hear, but I suspect that the above is the reason why requests for this book on this forum, are often met with silence.

(I played a few shows in Belgium a few years back in Gent (Asgaard) and Bree (Ragnarok) as part of a European tour. We had a great time, there. Especially Asgaard was awesome... great people there!! ...and I think I went to "Walibi Belgium" like, over 20 years ago. Exactly one day before people got stuck on top of that single-loop roller coaster for hours that was in the news internationally. I felt pretty lucky, hahaha).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Mon May 20, 2024 4:44 pm

Hi, Mike Rivers had no living family, I researched all this before posting the links.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:44 pm

Old School wrote:Hi, Mike Rivers had no living family...

That would seem to transfer the intellectual property to eminent domain status... making it public property. Whoever handled his 'estate' (probate) would be able to confirm or not - if the document heir wasn't specifically stated in his will & testament, his intellectual property rights will have expired. However don't quote me on this, but it would sure seem to be the domain status of that document is free for public consumption...

But, as always, you knew this was coming so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Mon May 20, 2024 11:15 pm

Hi,
Yes, I checked out all the legalities before I shared any links. The copyright expired with Mike in this case. As for Peter's silence, I am not the only one who has been unable to contact him. Sorry if my replies seem short, as I am recovering from a recent surgery.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby not hip » Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:26 pm

Any idea where/how I can get a copy of the Mike Rivers book?

Thanks!
not hip

Return to HDR/MDR/SDR recorders