Change font size   Print view

D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 pm

BrianJ wrote:Ok, that's how I set it up. I plugged it in between the d8b console and the CPU, and made the connections to the two DB9 connectors with wire (as shown in the picture below) and turned on the CPU. Everything booted up just like normal. So it seems that the harness I made is working ok! The black data cable on the right is going to the CPU...this is the one that normally connects the CPU to the D8B console. The tan cable on the left is now going to the D8B console.

Ok...now that I've got that, I still need to figure out how to get the USB to serial cables to do what they're supposed to...so, starting fresh from here, what do I do first?

well If you could correctly boot the d8b with your cable, then Its correctly connected, now, connect the usb/serial ports, and use VSPE program to create a bridge between the two ports (just like you did physically but now it will be a "virtual bridge" ) just make sure that the baud rate configured is 115200, and now try to boot the d8b, If you can boot this way, then you are ready to test my program hehe, also If you activate monitoring mode in the VSPE program, you will see the data sent bewteen the d8b console and the CPU
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:11 pm

ok, this is where I'm a bit lost...

I open VSPE and click "create new device", A box pops up and I select "bridge" from the device type, then I click "next". This brings up a box that says "specify device characteristics"... and it wants me to setup "stream 1" and "stream2". So I click the "settings" button for stream 1 and a box pops up that says "data stream settings". I select "serial port" from the data stream type field, then select COM6 (one of my USB/DB9 converters is on com6 according to windows device manager), set speed to 115200, stop bits 1, parity "no", byte size 8, and DTR/RTS "no". I set up stream 2 exactly the same, except I assign COM7 (the other USB/DB9 converter).

Nothing happens. Can you verify these settings? Am I supposed to use the COM port number that windows has assigned to each converter?

Here's the screenshot of my settings...maybe I don't know how to configure the program? is there a file you can send me with the proper configuration?

(click on picture for full size to see all the screen)
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Ok, I think something is wrong with one of my usb/serial converters. I used Realterm to test them one at a time by plugging the first one in and jumping pins 2 and 3 on the serial connector. I set the baud rate to 115200 and com port to 1 (the port I have assigned to this adapter in windows)...I was able to type in characters and see them on screen, so I know that CONVERTER #1 is working.

Then I did the same thing with CONVERTER #2 and I got a bunch of jibberish as soon as I bridged pins 2 and 3. Either something is wrong with it or it won't work on my computer

Here's a screenshot of the two...you can see the one on the upper right is doing what it's supposed to be doing...

BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Hmm...it does the same thing on another computer...oddly enough that cable works fine as an interface on that other computer...

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Maybe I just need to buy a different one?
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 pm

BrianJ wrote:Hmm...it does the same thing on another computer...oddly enough that cable works fine as an interface on that other computer...

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Maybe I just need to buy a different one?

mm that's strange, maybe you should try using a different usb/serial, or try connecting in other usb port, mm...
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 am

Ok, so I went and bought another USB/Serial converter, this one seems to work with my other one...I was able to open two instances of Realterm and set them up on their corresponding ports, and was able to get them to talk to each other by hooking up a straight through cable to my harness...see photo below...

So, now that they are talking to each other, what is the next step?

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 am

BrianJ wrote:So, now that they are talking to each other, what is the next step?
Brian

try to make the bridge connection in VSPE and try to boot the d8b
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:14 am

I did that again, same as in my above post with the screenshot of my settings...

Nothing happens. What I mean is that I don't know what I'm supposed to do after I setup the bridge.

I open VSPE and click "create new device", A box pops up and I select "bridge" from the device type, then I click "next". This brings up a box that says "specify device characteristics"... and it wants me to setup "stream 1" and "stream2". So I click the "settings" button for stream 1 and a box pops up that says "data stream settings". I select "serial port" from the data stream type field, then select COM6 (one of my USB/DB9 converters is on com6 according to windows device manager), set speed to 115200, stop bits 1, parity "no", byte size 8, and DTR/RTS "no". I set up stream 2 exactly the same, except I assign COM7 (the other USB/DB9 converter).

Nothing happens. Can you verify these settings? Am I supposed to use the COM port number that windows has assigned to each converter? After the last step do I hit the "Play" button? What is the procedure?
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:18 am

OK...I HAVE A SUCCESSFUL BOOT!!!

I found the problem, in the first diagram I posted the Tx and RX wires were wrong on BOTH sides of my harness...on BOTH sides pins 14 and 2 needed to be changed. Here is the latest and CORRECT diagram that allowed me to boot the mackie successfully with the VSPE bridge!!!

SO...now I'm ready for the software! Please advise...

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm

did have zax360 sent you the program?
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum