Change font size   Print view

D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Postby BrianJ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:38 pm

elperroromel wrote:
BrianJ wrote:Ok...I'm going to go buy a cable right now to make this.

Also, does it matter what version of the software you have for the D8B? Will is work on either version 3 or 5.1?

If I understand correctly it shouldn't matter, I believe your software essentially just switches control between the DAW and the Mackie CPU...

Brian

well It should work on any version, unless it sends different button/faders codes for each version but I dont think so, the other guy, zax360 I remember is running 5.1 and it works well, and I'm running version 3, in 5.1, the "DAW Mode" should replace the "HUI Mode"

Ok, good! Also, my studio PC is Windows 7 64-bit, and I use the 64-bit version of Reaper...will your software work with this? Or will I have to use the 32-bit version of Reaper in order to use your software? (which I don't want to do if at all possible...)

Thanks for your quick responses!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:41 pm

BrianJ wrote:Ok, good! Also, my studio PC is Windows 7 64-bit, and I use the 64-bit version of Reaper...will your software work with this? Or will I have to use the 32-bit version of Reaper in order to use your software? (which I don't want to do if at all possible...)

Thanks for your quick responses!

Brian

mm I'm using 32 bit version but it shouln't be a problem, the console program only uses the serial ports and midi ports previously created with another program (I use VSPE for virtual serial ports and LoopMIDI for virtual midi ports) so I think it works independently of Reaper version.
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:55 am

ok...I'm about done with the interface box, I figured I'd post a message to give you some time to respond...I need to know what I need to do step by step...

What programs need installed?

How do they need to be setup?

Anything else I need to know...

Thanks!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:29 am

Ok, here's what I have for the interface box, using Casey's idea...I only hooked up the Tx, Rx, and Ground on the serial ports fo now...it needs to be tested to make sure everything works, still waiting for the instructions on what all I need to make it work...

Here's some pics...

I need to get some standoff's to mount the connectors to the box, but other than that I'm ready to test it as soon as I get the instructions to do so...!
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:09 am

your box looks cool, my box is still a bunch of wires connected to a proto board :lol:

first, try to download the program called MSPE (Virtual Serial Ports Emulator)

http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

then try to create two splitter, one for each serial/usb port and then in the menu view/extra information, activate the monitoring mode, then, If you connected all right, when you turn on the d8b you should receive a "R" character on the d8b console port, and also a "R" on the CPU port when it shows the MAckie OS screen image, If you can see that characters then your cable works well, if not, then something is wrong...
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 am

Couple questions first...

1. I don't have a USB hub yet, can I just plug my two Serial to USB adapters into separate USB ports on my computer?

2. Is this MSPE just a "test" program to test the box? Or is it also needed to run your software? If it's just a test, I'm going to do it on my laptop intead of the studio PC.
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 am

BrianJ wrote:Couple questions first...

1. I don't have a USB hub yet, can I just plug my two Serial to USB adapters into separate USB ports on my computer?

2. Is this MSPE just a "test" program to test the box? Or is it also needed to run your software? If it's just a test, I'm going to do it on my laptop intead of the studio PC.

yes you can connect into separate usb ports if you have enough ports :p

its "VSPE" and I'm using im to run the program because it can create a virtual Serial Port which is used as a virtual Switch to redirect the communications from the console to the Mackie CPU Port or to the Virtual Port which will translate the info to MCU commands and send to the virtual MIDI ports,
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 am

ok...I need some help here...

The first step is to test the box I made. I have my two serial to USB converters plugged into my pc, windows found them and installed drivers. Then I plug them into my box...nothing happens obviously as the box isn't hooked to the D8B at this point...so how do I test it?
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:20 am

BrianJ wrote:ok...I need some help here...

The first step is to test the box I made. I have my two serial to USB converters plugged into my pc, windows found them and installed drivers. Then I plug them into my box...nothing happens obviously as the box isn't hooked to the D8B at this point...so how do I test it?

well If you dont want to connect the d8b, maybe connecting a null modem cable between the 2 ports you could be able to test if you send some serial data to one port, it sould be received from the other port, If you dont have a null modem cable, just connect the Tx from one Port to the Rx from the other and then the other Tx to the Rx, maybe you want to download a program like "hyperterminal" or "realterm"
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:31 am

You're confusing me...!

I just need you to tell me exactly what to do first...

Should the box be connected to the D8B? I was going to unplug the cable from the D8B, plug it into my box, then plug the other end of the box into the D8B...then plug the two USB converters into my computer...Is that what I should be doing?

If so, then what? Do I turn on the D8B or does it stay off for the test?
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum