Change font size   Print view

D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B as a 24 Chanel DAW Controller + Audio

Postby Maloik » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:54 am

It's not that hard! just joining a couple of wires together..

No the wiring should not be a problem...With "tried to follow your explanations...." I meant the conversation you and your buddy had about testing the program :-P

well if Samplitude supports Mackie Control and Extenders, It should work,

On the Mackie site I found:

"Mackie Control Universal support is available for Samplitude 7.0 and higher. There is no overlay required for using the Mackie Control Universal with Samplitude 7.0"

I'm using Samplitude 12...so I think it should work....awesome!

btw:
Great song in your buddy's video :twisted:
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:59 am

Maloik wrote:No the wiring should not be a problem...With "tried to follow your explanations...." I meant the conversation you and your buddy had about testing the program :-P

hehe he was struggling making the program work but finally got it to work hehe

btw I uploaded another video for testing the program stability, playing with Freddie Mercury heheh :lol:

elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:32 pm

That's pretty impressive. Much to Mackie's chagrin, you seem to have extended the little lady's life once again.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby BrianJ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:26 am

Casey_Pittman wrote:Do these pin connections look right? The idea was to have the 25 pins on one side and the 9 on the other. That way you could connect the adapter cables to a usb hub inside of a project case and have a single USB connector on the panel. Pretty much exactly like the idea above. I would be more than happy to share the eagle files with folks if they wanted to set it up differently. But, this config should work well for a small aluminum project case.

-Casey

Casey! Making the cable based off your diagram shouldn't be too difficult...but I have a question...you have two DB9's there one going to and one coming from the PC. Would Ineed TWO serial to USB adapters to make this work on a newer Windows 7 64-bit machine? I don't have two serial ports...
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:56 pm

BrianJ wrote:
Casey_Pittman wrote:Do these pin connections look right? The idea was to have the 25 pins on one side and the 9 on the other. That way you could connect the adapter cables to a usb hub inside of a project case and have a single USB connector on the panel. Pretty much exactly like the idea above. I would be more than happy to share the eagle files with folks if they wanted to set it up differently. But, this config should work well for a small aluminum project case.

-Casey

Casey! Making the cable based off your diagram shouldn't be too difficult...but I have a question...you have two DB9's there one going to and one coming from the PC. Would Ineed TWO serial to USB adapters to make this work on a newer Windows 7 64-bit machine? I don't have two serial ports...

Brian,
From what I understand you need a serial->USB to go to the Computer and one coming back to complete the loop. One of the guys used a usb hub in his cable but you cant really tell cause he taped it all up. The PCB I laid out is based off of franks case design. You could connect everything together to a USB hub in the box and only have 1 USB connection to the computer. In theory. I have not done this so I cannot say for sure that it will work.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Maloik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Yes Casey is right....you need 1 to go to the computer and another one coming back...The guy who made the cable made a video where he explained everything in detail.

http://code.google.com/p/d8b-2-mcu/wiki ... onnections

If you scroll down to the picture of the cable, you can find the two videolinks underneath the picture.

Cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Tom and Casey,

I watched the two videos, but it looks like he only used 3 wires... Tx, Rx, and Ground. But in the picture Casey posted there are 9 wires intercepted...I'm confused about why there are 9 wires intercepted if only three are needed as shown in the video?

I'm want to build a cable, but I'm confused as to what is correct. I think I've missed something here...
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 pm

BrianJ wrote:Tom and Casey,

I watched the two videos, but it looks like he only used 3 wires... Tx, Rx, and Ground. But in the picture Casey posted there are 9 wires intercepted...I'm confused about why there are 9 wires intercepted if only three are needed as shown in the video?

I'm want to build a cable, but I'm confused as to what is correct. I think I've missed something here...

the Serial DB9 Ports are 9 pin ports, some pins has different functions(Like Request to Send,etc) , thats why Casey redirected all 9 pins, but the d8b doesn't use all other functions (at least thats the way it worked for me) only the Tx,Rx and Ground, so It should work for you If you only connect that 3 pins, but also redirecting all 9 pins should work well too.. actually I think the Casey's diagram looks good to print on a circuit board and just solder the ports together, my "cable" is still in a proto board with all the wires connected with tape xD :lol:
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Ok...I'm going to go buy a cable right now to make this.

Also, does it matter what version of the software you have for the D8B? Will is work on either version 3 or 5.1?

If I understand correctly it shouldn't matter, I believe your software essentially just switches control between the DAW and the Mackie CPU...

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby elperroromel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 pm

BrianJ wrote:Ok...I'm going to go buy a cable right now to make this.

Also, does it matter what version of the software you have for the D8B? Will is work on either version 3 or 5.1?

If I understand correctly it shouldn't matter, I believe your software essentially just switches control between the DAW and the Mackie CPU...

Brian

well It should work on any version, unless it sends different button/faders codes for each version but I dont think so, the other guy, zax360 I remember is running 5.1 and it works well, and I'm running version 3, in 5.1, the "DAW Mode" should replace the "HUI Mode"
elperroromel
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum