Change font size   Print view

CPU Fan to 7volts?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

CPU Fan to 7volts?

Postby albridi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 am

Hi there!

I've own a d8b, and, as many of you probably knows, as years goes by, it becomes noisly.

I'm trying to solve this problems, and I've found two main culprits: CPU fan, and the HD. I'm planning to change the hard drive for one compact flash: Western Digital SiliconDrive II ATA http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=550, and the CPU fan for one REVOLTEC http://www.revoltec.net/revoltec.net/index.php?StoryID=7&ArticleID=113&websiteLang=en#, or one FRACTALhttp://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=4&prod=74.

But I've been thinking about the posibility of use a volt regulator, to set the fan voltage to 7volts. Does somebody knows if setting this voltage could damage or shorten the processor's life?

Kind regards.
albridi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: CPU Fan to 7volts?

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 am

The noise problem re the fan is caused by the cowling warping over time, because of heat. The only real long term solution is to follow the instructions in the database relating to a quieter fan. Lowering the voltage, as you are asking, will only lower the frequency of the noise since the fan will be spinning at a slower speed. YMMV.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby cabernethy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 pm

I swapped my CPU fan out with a Fractal, works a treat. I also swapped the PSU fan with a quieter model which also helped.

Carl
cabernethy

Postby albridi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi, thanks to both for answering!
Peter wrote:...The noise problem re the fan is caused by the cowling warping over time, because of heat... follow the instructions in the database relating to a quieter fan... Lowering the voltage, as you are asking, will only lower the frequency of the noise since the fan will be spinning at a slower speed....

I didn't know the cowling could suffer warping because of heat, but it make sense. I tried to follow the database instructions, but I couldn't find a Zalman FB 123. I've a brand new 8cm BeQuiet fan, so I bought this: http://www.quietpc.com/br123ff1 (a BR123 Overhead Fan Bracket Assembly) to try to accomplish the indications, but it doesn't fit in my box. So I decided to try to find a 5cm fan instead. Ok, I see, so the 7 volts is not an option.
Carl wrote:I swapped my CPU fan out with a Fractal, works a treat. I also swapped the PSU fan with a quieter model which also helped.
Great notice, yesterday I bought a Factal fan ;-) I also bought two more fans yesterday, the Revoltec and this cooler: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/17/.html this thing could be used with 370 CPUs, so I think it could be great in this case, don't you think?

Kind regrads.
albridi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby cabernethy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Great notice, yesterday I bought a Factal fan I also bought two more fans yesterday, the Revoltec and this cooler: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/17/.html this thing could be used with 370 CPUs, so I think it could be great in this case, don't you think?

Be careful with the height of that cooler, it may not fit inside the case. If I was you , I would start off with the fractal fan on the CPU heatsink and see how that goes. The fractal fan has enough push to keep the CPU cool enough so I suspect that the artic cooler will be overkill (These things are generally made for people who overclock their PC's and so produce a lot of heat which the D8B cpu will not).

Good Luck,

Carl
cabernethy

Postby albridi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Carl wrote:...Be careful with the height of that cooler...I suspect that the artic cooler will be overkill...
Yes, I think you're right. In fact that thing is my last option. I think the Fractal or the Revoltec should be enough, but if they aren't, I'll try this one. Perhaps I'll have to change the original fan of the Artic Cooler to my BeQuiet SilentWing (I feel more confident with it).

By the way, how do you changed the PSU fan? It has to be very difficult to do it. In fact I feel is more reliable to change the PSU itself (although I know this isn't easy).

Kind regards.
albridi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby cabernethy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:37 pm

To change the CPU faan you need to remove the PSU shielding (large metal plate in the case that covers the right hand side), remove the back end of the PSU and strip it down and change the fan over. It's not that complex but only attempt this with the power dumped from the caps as they hold one heck of a jolt. From memory, I think its an 80mm fan in the PSU.

Carl
cabernethy

Postby albridi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:41 am

Thanks again, this info is very useful to me :D !

I'll post my achievements about this.

Kind regards.
albridi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby albridi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi there!

Finally I used a Fractal fan to replaced the old noisy fan cooler, and it works very quiet :D .

I also replaced my old d8b HD, with a brand new 30GB SSD drive. I had to reinstalled the d8b software, and after a very hard process, I’ve succeeded to install it, but to my surprise, now it asks for an autorization number :evil: .

I purchased my mixer at ebay, it is a second hand item, so I’m not sure how to access my authorizations numbers. I think I’ve this product registered, but I’m also having troubles to access http://my.mackie.com . I’m trying to retrieve mi password, but the form doesn’t work.

Do you know where this autorizations are stored? I think perhaps I could mount my old HD in another PC and try to find this code numbers... :roll:

Kind regards.
albridi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby djrezinfingerz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:49 am

HI interesting read i am think of doing the same thing to my d8b, putting in quite fans (where did you buys these from can you send a link).
Also replacing the D8b hard drive what advantages does this have.

i am looking at replacing my HDR fan aswell and maybe modifing the hdd to SD card reader.

And Opinions guys cheers.
djrezinfingerz

Next

Return to d8b Forum