Change font size   Print view

d8b clock

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b clock

Postby ryanjuk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:00 am

I'm told you can set world clock through the adat light pipes?

I've only just realised my d8b doesnt have a clock card in the back of the desk but seems to have one on the cpu? It also has what look like clock ports on each AIO-8 card in it.

I have an RME pci adat interface that can run as a master. Is it possible to just run the clock through the adat connections and not have a clock card or what? Also in its current state what does and doesn't it mean I can do.

Big question. How to set the mackie to act as a slave?
ryanjuk

Re: d8b clock

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:24 am

Firstly, it's word clock. Secondly, if you don't have a word clock card, you don't have a functioning d8b. Are you sure that behind the sync plate on the back, there isn't a card? There's no facility for a clock card in the PSU/CPU. AIO 8 cards have no facility for word clock. Have you read the manual? It's an excellent point of reference. Link is in the database.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby ryanjuk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:40 am

Have read the manual plenty. And I've also got everything working with audio from each channel recording into the computer and even automated faders going from the desk into the computer.

The card I have allows me to choose to take the word clock from the adat lightpipe as it states you can do in the manual. I have the standard mackie clock card behind the sync plate so I guess that what allows this to work?

The problem I'm currently having is trying to get the mackie locator timecode to sync up with Reaper Cockos. The play and stop buttons work if I don't try and sync the timecode but don't otherwise.

Any idea?
ryanjuk

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:02 am

ryanjuk wrote:Any idea?

None at all. I keep trying but I keep coming up void.

Mate, you're gonna have to come up with more coherent questions in order to receive coherent answers. You obviously have DIO 8 cards, not AIO 8 cards. If not, then it's hard to decipher your gobbledegook.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ryanjuk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:28 am

Yeh I meant DIO8 silly me. No need to be a dick about it though ey ;).

Is that port on the bottom of the DIO8 cards a WORD (grr keep typing world) clock or not? In the manual it just says SYNC next to them.
ryanjuk

Postby ryanjuk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 am

Alright after reading up some more net stuff. The word clock bnc output on the dio8 cards was designed for tascam so is out of phase. Currently I'm just telling my pci card to use adat1 as the clock. Just wondering how this all works or if theres anything else I need to do outside this?
ryanjuk

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Dick here.

DIO 8 card info
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure if you've achieved your goal with syncing, but I was going through some of of the topics in the forum and came across your question about the Locator SMPTE window in the GUI. You can achieve sync without affecting the locator readout, but MTC (midi time code) is what will generate the readout on the Locator. I've achieved a SMPTE readout on the Loactor window by generating the MTC from the DAW via an AV Mid Time Piece. In fact that same signal goes to my second D8B as well as I have a dual system in place. Hope that this helps although it may be a Litle late in the day.

Andy.
Knowledge is the beginning of Wisdom... Let the learning begin.
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ryanjuk » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:51 am

The clock and everything is working fine. Straight from one of the adat card things to my computer with the mackie as master. I'll have a look into that AV Mid Time Piece thanks!
ryanjuk

Postby OscarPro1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:41 pm

You're welcome :-)

Just a quick note! It doesn't necessarily have to a be MTP. You can derive MTC from from any other interface connected to your PC/Mac, so long as it has a Midi out connected to the Midi in of your D8B CPU. Logic will convert the SMPTE signal to MTC and send it through the interface you choose.

Andy
Knowledge is the beginning of Wisdom... Let the learning begin.
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum