Change font size   Print view

Slightly off-topic, but I DESPERATELY need help!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Slightly off-topic, but I DESPERATELY need help!!

Postby Axeman098 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:20 pm

I built a new Windows 7 x64 box a while back, and copied all my Gigabytes worth of pictures and video over to an external drive. Somehow, and I have never seen or done this before or since, but when I moved everything over to the new box, ALL the pictures permissions are NOT set to the new box. I can't even access the folder until I right click it, and try to propagate the permissions down. Right clicking the Folder the pictures are in and trying to set the permissions that way, yields access denied errors on every picture in the folder, but then lets me actually go into the folder and see the picture files. Thumbnails don't show until I go in, ONE BY ONE and right click each picture and set the owner and permissions to me. Then the picture will open normally and the Thumbnail is visible. This is an incredibly TEDIOUS and daunting task, as I have over 20Gb of pics and files that need to be set manually just to see them. This is a nightmare!!!!

Is there a way to FORCE the permissions on a given folder and all files in the folder??? Is there a 3rd party app that could help me do this task en masse???? Folder permissions are NOT working, as if I try to do it to the folder the pics are sitting in, it will error out on every picture in the folder, and I have to go in one by one and change the ownership and permissions on each individual file. Somebody kill me please if I have to do this for over 20Gb of files!!! :shock:

PLEASE HELP!!! How can I gain ownership and access of all the files without having to open each file individually. We're talking well over 100,000 files!!!! There HAS to be a way around this!!!
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Slightly off-topic, but I DESPERATELY need help!!

Postby Soundchasm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:58 am

I haven't kept up with computers at all, but UNIX used to let the owner change permissions for directories they owned. You might try searching for a DOS command that could change file/directory attributes. Make sure to test on test data before you charge ahead on anything important.
Soundchasm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum