Change font size   Print view

DIO board testing, successful EPROM duplication!!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: DIO board testing, Questions about upgrading to V2 chips

Postby BrianJ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:41 am

Ahhh, I do have an HDSP 9652...it's possible that I have that software on the disk...I'll have to check that...thank you!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:57 pm

If you don't have the SW, you can still download it from RME. Might be a bit tricky to get there, but it is on their site, for sure.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:10 am

Drivers

Digicheck (Bitscope inside)
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrianJ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks guys...! I'll be off work for a bit still so I'll try to get this done as soon as the board and chips arrive...I had to order a PLCC 32 adapter for the burner and some new EPROMs, they are on the way.
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DIO board testing, successful EPROM duplication!!!

Postby BrianJ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:14 am

Hey guys! Ok, I got the DIO board with the version 2 eprom in the mail from Casey, was waiting on the new eproms to arrive and they showed up today. I had to make an adapter to change the 32-pin PLCC package into a 28-pin DIP package so the burner could read/program properly...it isn't pretty, but it works!

Once the adapter was made I was able to read the original eprom into memory, I tried to burn a couple chips but it wasn't working, possible they were bad chips. The next three went just fine and all tested good in the D8B. I used the RME Digicheck program to make sure we had a 24-bit signal both in and out of the card and it did...the results were the same as with the original chip!

Now, since I'm new to the D8B, I swapped the DIO card into the third tape out slot because I know how to use that since I have 3 OPT-8 cards normally. I didn't try the card in the ALT slot. Also, I only used the optical connections on the card, again, cause that's what I know how to use. I'm sure everything else will function just fine, but if there's something specific anyone wants me to test just let me know.

Also, the version 2 eprom that was in Casey's card was the "127 ver 2" chip, which is decribed as :

"Version 2 (Version 2, 127 Ver 2) – 24-bit throughput, SYNC output phase with respect to word clock is still incorrect."

It's not the latest Version 2.1 chip, but it does up the bit length to the full 24-bits. If I can get ahold of a Version 2.1 chip I can copy it as well.

So that's the update...it works! If anyone needs any v2 chips let me know!

Brian
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Rivers » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 am

BrianJ wrote:Also, the version 2 eprom that was in Casey's card was the "127 ver 2" chip, which is decribed as :

"Version 2 (Version 2, 127 Ver 2) – 24-bit throughput, SYNC output phase with respect to word clock is still incorrect."

It's not the latest Version 2.1 chip, but it does up the bit length to the full 24-bits. If I can get ahold of a Version 2.1 chip I can copy it as well.

Actually, the Version 2 or 127 Ver2 is probably the best one to have unless you're using the TASCAM I/O. It passes the 24-bit stream and it has the "wrong" clock phase for DTRS, so it's in phase with internal word clock and the BNC output can be used as a word clock output if you don't have the Apogee Clock I/O card.

I don't remember why, but I seem to recall that there was some reason why you need the cards to all have the same EPROM version so it's good to have a source for any version, should you be inclined to continue with this project. And don't be surprised if you're inundated with requests for an "MDR Upgrade Kit."

I used to have a low opinion of people who sold copies of Mackie's EPROMS for fun and profit, but now that Mackie doesn't care any more as long as they aren't sold as "New Mackie" products, I figure that anyone replicating parts is doing a useful service.
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:34 pm

BrianJ wrote:Hey guys! Ok, I got the DIO board with the version 2 eprom in the mail from Casey, was waiting on the new eproms to arrive and they showed up today. I had to make an adapter to change the 32-pin PLCC package into a 28-pin DIP package so the burner could read/program properly...it isn't pretty, but it works!

Once the adapter was made I was able to read the original eprom into memory, I tried to burn a couple chips but it wasn't working, possible they were bad chips. The next three went just fine and all tested good in the D8B. I used the RME Digicheck program to make sure we had a 24-bit signal both in and out of the card and it did...the results were the same as with the original chip!

Now, since I'm new to the D8B, I swapped the DIO card into the third tape out slot because I know how to use that since I have 3 OPT-8 cards normally. I didn't try the card in the ALT slot. Also, I only used the optical connections on the card, again, cause that's what I know how to use. I'm sure everything else will function just fine, but if there's something specific anyone wants me to test just let me know.

Also, the version 2 eprom that was in Casey's card was the "127 ver 2" chip, which is decribed as :

So that's the update...it works! If anyone needs any v2 chips let me know!

Brian

Brian, great news! I could def use 3 of the chips for my other cards!

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BrianJ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 am

Absolutely Casey! I need to find some small anti-static boxes for these though...or even some anti static bags...
BrianJ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum