Change font size   Print view

Something not quite as deafening as a bit count dilemma

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Something not quite as deafening as a bit count dilemma

Postby High C Double G » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Hi everybody!

I hope this finds you well. I have not done anything yet but I have a new (old) Aphex 124 and I want to make sure it is working properly and not blow anything up (although that can be fun at times)... what is a sure way to see if this thing is working right?

I have lots of stuff to utilize to test it. My thinking (don't laugh) is to separate it from the patchbay wiring and hook it up both ways old school with cabling. I would like some way to measure it to see if it is doing what it is suppose to (aside from being noisy/weak if it doesn't work).

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Michael

PS: I posted over at GS about a week ago and no one responded :|
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Something not quite as deafening as a bit count dilemma

Postby garrett21allen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:54 am

Hi michael

do you know you can be arrested for going to another web site like GS
this is the best forum around. you posted over at GS a week ago and have not gotting a responce
yet. I bet you will get a responce on this forum before the night is over. but I do have to say
that GS is a fun place to go to sometimes.

if I could help you I would

joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks Joe,

I know you would help if you could!!! As to being arrested... I sure don't want that --- no way - no how ! ;)

Anyway yes, I just need to tear into it but I have been really busy, thank goodness!!! Basically looking for some general info. I have a phono player so I could hook that up to the input of the 124A and send the output of the 124A into the d8b channel one, then I could send the phono player into track two without the box and measure the results.

Vise-Versa I could send a output from the d8b into the +4 side of the 124A box and send it to a cassette deck... this is where it gets scary because I lent this (it is a high end consumer deck) to a friend and he blew the thing up... I don't want a repeat of this... it was quite a bit of coin to get the thing repaired and this was a long time ago when you could actually find someone to work on these and when you could get the parts. I was making some coin at the time so I didn't press the issue that he broke it... things are not great now, but I am managing ok - looking for some relief as it is beyond tough... I WOULD WELCOME TOUGH!!!! oK whatever about that, a lot of people are hurting.... I am just one of them. I count my blessings this I do.

So you see my dilemma, I would rather simulate rather than "real world" it to save any unnecessary smoke :shock:

Maybe just sending the signals (whatever they are) into the recorder or DAW and not use the gear?

Sorry I am so dense, just want to see if this new/old little box is doing what it is suppose to do.

Michael
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby alfspanners » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Michael,

anytime I'm worried about plugging in a piece of gear - i use a passive DI box with a transformer inside and use the earth lift - that way the two pieces of gear will not physically be connected. The only downside is a transformer will affect the sound so it will depend on the kind of tests you want to do.

I've just looked up what an Aphex 124A actually is and I would expect that a transformer will skew results. I suppose the correct way to ensure that it's not going to damage anything is to get it PAT tested, though this only really checks if it's going to damage you or not. An electronics engineer would probably measure the voltages coming off the outputs with one of those testers, not that I'm recommending you do that yourself. I built a couple of preamps for my lunchbox recently and had to perform some electrical tests to make sure they wouldn't fry, but i was just a soldering junkie following careful instructions in the manuals, though I occassionally do PAT testing at work.

I suppose it would be good if you could check it with something that you could afford to lose, just in case, then move to the Daw.

Should also mention that I'm from the UK, we have earth terminals in our plugs - though a lot of audio gear I've seen is class 2 double insulated, an audio amplifier would be class 1 in the uk.

Anyway best of luck

Mark
alfspanners

Postby High C Double G » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks for the reply Mark, I really appreciate it!

You know what you hit on something I hadn't thought about and that is voltage from zero potential and that would at least be a good start to see if the readings are different from the -10 side compared to the +4 side.

I am just waiting for the light bulb to go off above my head on this one...

I use to be ok friends with the big wigs over at Aphex, but they sold the company... now I am a nobody to the new people.

I am sure their bench rate isn't too bad, I might just drive it over there and have them check it out.

Thanks!

Michael
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum