Change font size   Print view

AAAAgghr only 16bit

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: AAAAgghr only 16bit

Postby alfspanners » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Peter - why all this hostility? I've never been treated like this on a forum ever!

I've posted my results, that's all I can do. I've tried my best to explain myself. Really sorry it's got to this.

Best that I just leave, I feel ill now

Mark
alfspanners

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Puhleeaase!

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:48 pm

alfspanners wrote:I don't know

That's the most accurate thing you've written during the course of this thread.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:18 pm

BTW, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bruce Wayne and Mr Spanners were the same person or at the very least, from the same studio.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby thedarkknight » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:23 am

peter ive never even met the guy and ive no idea how id prove that to you, not that you would believe me if i could looking at your 'helpful' comments.

and mr alfspanners may i recommend a less specific forum where the users arent so defensive over their precious soundboards
thedarkknight

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:17 am

thedarkknight wrote:peter ive never even met the guy and ive no idea how id prove that to you, not that you would believe me if i could looking at your 'helpful' comments.

and mr alfspanners may i recommend a less specific forum where the users arent so defensive over their precious soundboards

Fair enough, Batman. Only Petersueco could tell if your posts emanate from the same IP address and that's for him and him alone to know.

Nonetheless, I and others like Dan, Peter H, Crash, Frank and many others spend time here attempting to solve other's questions about the d8b, keep them up and running and have done so for some considerable time. In the vicinity of 12 years or so in fact. It's a labour of love. I hardly think your inverted commas "helpful" is fair.

Spanners' methodology is flawed. Firstly, he's generating a 1 Hz sine wave (that's one cycle per second) from Cubase, presumably using his RME to convert it and pump it into the d8b in analog form, expecting the RME's analog circuitry to be capable of handling it before and after conversion, further expecting the d8b's analog input circuitry can handle it, pumping it out via the RME after a further conversion by the d8b, in to Cubase and making measurements. Seriously. It's so convoluted. There are so many conversions and unknown parameters, it's ridiculous. The mind boggles. 1 Hz? Come on!!! It actually hurts.

Further, the reliance on Cubase is just plain asking for trouble.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 am

Looking for a light-hearted YouTube video to lighten things up around here... hold on... wait a minute...

Nope... I got nothin

Well maybe tomorrow?

signed,
Where did my 8-bits go? :o
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dan Worley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:29 pm

anyhorizon wrote:Now, we're getting convoluted. There were major diagnostics going on back then by owners everywhere regarding the 16 bit horror. V3 spat out 16 bits when the digital trim was at unity. Adjusting the digital trim up or down caused the associated channel to return to 24 bit. The 16 bit fix addressed that to everyone's satisfaction prior to the release of V5. The Aux 16 bit thing caused a similar stink but Mackie eventually came clean with an explanation along the lines that there just wasn't enough processing power to cover the Auxes. Whether that was a simple explanation to avoid a more complex one, I don't know. I find spanners' methodology and subsequent explanations most difficult to digest. Whatever, seems he's rid of his d8b now.

Peter

Thanks for clearing that up, Peter. I couldn't remember the particulars and certainly not the timeline.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
Dan Worley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dan Worley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Since I can't set my d8b up to test it and post up the results, I'm just going to follow along if some others are willing to test theirs.

Have fun! Play nice. :D

c-ya,

Dan Worley
Dan Worley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:44 am

Incredible... My ISP killed the connection, so I was gone for almost a month, but it is the most fascinating thread since I joined! I'm really sad about the emotions that have surged here - but this and the other thread by Frank cleared the picture so well. Something I did not have time to test but always suspected, posted here.

Now I'm really curious to see what V5 has to offer to us!
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum