Change font size   Print view

Signal Upgrade

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Signal Upgrade

Postby BIGBRUH » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Can the converters be changed out/upgraded? Same for the mic pres.
BIGBRUH

Re: Signal Upgrade

Postby Crash » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:12 pm

I use an analog card in the ALT I/O slot for external preamps. You could also use external converters if the on boards don't float your boat. You have a choice of OPT.8 for optical or the DIO.8 which has optical and TDIF in and outs on it.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BIGBRUH » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Appreciate the reply. I was talking more like literally taking the opamps and switching them out. I have received a quote for some top grade opamps which are direct replacements. Just wondering if anyone else has undertaken this. Otherwise I will just bypass the audio and get Marc's product when he releases 2.0. I have used it for a few live gigs and figure I can get more performance out of it with upgraded opamps. Any other thoughts on it?
BIGBRUH

Postby Crash » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:13 pm

I don't know of anyone that has gone to that extreme. If you are handy with an iron and have the skills, the schematics are available so you can blaze new ground.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BIGBRUH » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:35 pm

I have been looking for the schematics and they appear to be taken down at every turn. Where might I get them these days?
BIGBRUH

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Here.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby FrankH » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:01 pm

The main problem with any op amp swap out (besides the possibility of lifting/damaging traces) is the components surrounding the chip. A good design optimizes the values of the various resistors and caps directly attached to the chip.
(I'm pretty sure Cal Perkins, a superlative op amp tweakhead, did the final preamp design). Substituting another chip may not play well with these components and in some cases may degrade the performance.

That said, please note that all the surrounding components are surface mounted and are a bitch to replace. I might suggest working with one mic pre by replacing the op amp with a socket and experimenting with substitute chips before going whole hog into a complete chipectomy.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 pm

chipectomy

Word of the Month !!!
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BIGBRUH » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Duly noted. I have a local electronics guru looking over the possibility. I will see what he says. At the very least I would want to get better performance from the analog stereo outs. Planning on getting Marc's product when he releases 2.0 in any event but wanted to see where this board could go with a little TLC.I will keep everyone looped. ;)
BIGBRUH

Postby lanshan75 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 am

Very glad to meet everybody here,I am just a new member of this forum,I want to make more friends here,I hope you can like me.

Next

Return to d8b Forum