Change font size   Print view

No singnal comming in after "error #74"

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

No singnal comming in after "error #74"

Postby President-evil » Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi, you mighty d8b gurus!

I'm really glad to realize that there still seem to be some d8b users out there. Hopefully there's someone 'round here who can help me with my console that is really driving me nuts these days!! As you can see this is my first post here. I really think I tried about everything I found on the forum but now I'm starting to get desperate..

I bought a used d8b about a year ago, which we mainly use in the rehearsal room an for recording via adat into rme fireface. The fireface is just connected when recording so there is usually no other digital gear running with the d8b.

There's 3 adat I/o cards installed + the macky Clocking card + two MFX and one UFX cards.

I took the desk with me for a live situation (which I will NEVER DO AGAIN!!!) and – you guess what happened – after 2 h of sound check and 10 min before the show should start the desk froze. No signal coming in, none coming out. Well I tried to stay cool and calm. Rebooted the system. Then: “Error #74 (or was is #73?) Plugin host didn't initialize – something like that..

Luckily we could organize an analog console to run the show but it was the pure horror. And of course embarrassing as hell.

Back home I went to the computer to find a solution.
I reseated the cards, I reseated all cables, I deleted all session files, erased plugin memory, set bios to the values recommended on the d8b database, booted the desk with no plugin cards in...

The result. I don't get an error massage anymore. The desk is booting just the usual way but There is no singnal coming in (mic inputs) nothing going on with the meters. Just DEAD!

I planed to do a production (which I get payed for) next week but I can't without getting this thing back to life.

Someone can help me, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

grz
Chris
President-evil

Re: No singnal comming in after "error #74"

Postby Crash » Fri May 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Can you plug something into the Two Track inputs and get signal there? I am talking the analong Two tracks A, B, or C that you select in the control room section. If you get signal there and no where else, I would look at your clock card. So you have the stock Mackie clock card and not an Apogee clock card?

Are you sure your error was not #43?
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby President-evil » Fri May 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Thank you Crash for your quick reply!

Just checked: Never used the 2Tr ins before, just plugged in my I-pod into 2 TR in A, chose the port in the controllroom section, send it to main out and pulled up the speaker volume right?
Also no singnal here!
I have the stock mackie clock card in the "sync" slot yes.
Also I have an Apogee Digital I/O card with optical adat and TDIF in the "Alt i/O" slot and a Mackie Digital I/O with AES/EBU and S/PDIF in the "Digital I/O" slot...

Yes I'm sure that it was not error #43.. Not this time... I know this one toooooo well. had it all the time on startup. just pressed F1 for skipping in the rehearsals. didn't have it since I set bios to the recommended settings... Damn this desk makes me sick.... The #43 is the "host not booting" error, right. my Host is booting. 5.1 running everything looks usual and perfect, no error massages anymore just: no signal.

chris
President-evil

Postby Crash » Fri May 11, 2012 5:59 pm

My money is still on a clock issue. If reseating the clock card hasn't helped and given the fact you moved the console, I wonder if the power cables on the back of the card cage, inside the console, might have moved a bit.

Go to this thread for pics of the cables I speak of.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=609
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby President-evil » Fri May 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Will be checking on that as soon as I get back home. THX
Chris
President-evil

Postby President-evil » Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 am

CRASH YOU F***ING RULE!!!!!!!

One of the power cables moved out for like 1,5 mm!! Would have never found that thing without your help.
Thank you so much, you really saved my life ;) Recording can start monday.

By the way: Since you seem to be one of those 'round here who really know what they are talking about - are you some Mackie d8b tech or just a "normal" user who has been badly agonized by his console? ;)

Chris
President-evil

Postby synthjoe » Sat May 12, 2012 9:33 am

Crash wrote:My money is still on a clock issue.

Nice catch, Crash! ;)
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Sun May 13, 2012 6:03 am

President-evil wrote:CRASH YOU F***ING RULE!!!!!!!

One of the power cables moved out for like 1,5 mm!! Would have never found that thing without your help.
Thank you so much, you really saved my life ;) Recording can start monday.

By the way: Since you seem to be one of those 'round here who really know what they are talking about - are you some Mackie d8b tech or just a "normal" user who has been badly agonized by his console? ;)

Chris

I am Batman... nah, just kidding. I used to work at the mothership known as Mackie on Wood-Red rd., down the street from Carver and the Red Hook Brewery. I was the guy that built a lot of the d8b's out there, along with a lot of others but having said that, there are lots of more smarter guys on this forum than me in regards to the d8b. I am glad we got you sorted out and I hope the fix holds for you. Sometimes I get lucky with a fix on here, you roll your dice, you take your chances. I hope your session is smooth sailing for you on Monday.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum