Change font size   Print view

Trackball with a D8B

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Trackball with a D8B

Postby NigelC » Wed May 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Has anyone managed to use a USB Trackball with the D8B?

I purchased a Kensington Orbit USB Trackball http://www.kensington.com/kensington/en ... 37EU/orbit™-scroll-ring-trackball.aspx and used a PS/2 to USB converter on the cable, result... nothing.

Is there something I need to enable in the BIOS that is not normally enabled? I am a Mac guy and used to plug and play, never normally have to install drivers. By the way my PS2 mouse works fine in case you are wondering.
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Trackball with a D8B

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu May 10, 2012 6:38 am

I knew a fella that ran a trackball with his but I don't know if it was usb->PS/2 adapted. So I would think that it can be done.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Thu May 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Check it with the PS/2 adapter on a regular PC. If it works, you might have a chance. If it doesn't, then the device probably does not know the serial protocol that the PS/2 adapter uses. Remember that dual USB/PS/2 mice switch protocols depeding on what it senses on the wires. The adapter is just a dummy wire-through connector, does not translate protocols.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby NigelC » Fri May 11, 2012 11:50 am

Problem solved. I swapped the trackball for another of Kensington's models and it works. I think the presence of a scroll wheel prevented it working with PS/2.
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum