Change font size   Print view

new to the mackie d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

new to the mackie d8b

Postby lucas5511 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:43 pm

hello

i am new to this desk just brought it, i have two audio interfaces the mbox 2 and m-audio 410, can either of these work with the mackie d8b, could any1 help me please (if not could any1 recommend a audio interface that will work with it)

thanks xx
regards lucas
lucas5511

Re: new to the mackie d8b

Postby Casey_Pittman » Wed May 02, 2012 3:43 pm

They would "work" but they wouldn't allow you to use the board to it's full potential.

It would help if you explained your main use/desire for the board, what was your reason for acquiring it? Also what cards came with it so we know what interface would work well with your configuration.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lucas5511 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 pm

basically i want to use this for mixing and recording running, off logic and protools as DAW (work in sync with these) (so i can use the mixers onboard processing compressors e.q's etc and also be able to use automation on the desk)
the cards i have is 1 digi AES/EBU I/O card, 3x apogee DIO ADAD cards, apogee clock card, 1 MFX card
i also have midi break out leads + midi leads, data cable
i am in the process of buying emagic unitor 8

regards lucas
lucas5511

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu May 03, 2012 3:43 am

Lucas,

Since you have the adat cards and the Apogee WC Card I would suggest one of two interfaces both of which are used by many folks here very successfully.

1st http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=54 this will give you 1 midi I/O

2nd http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9652.php this will give you 2 Midi I/O

Knowing that these have midi capabilities within them might allow you to spend the money you would spend on the emagic unitor 8 and put that toward the interface. Unless you just have to have it.......

I personally use the RME interface and have never had a problem with it. Plus they are considered by many to have some of the sounding interfaces and best drivers in that price range on the market.

I've never used the presonus before but I did look into it before I bought my RME. Maybe some one who does will chime in......

As far as using the on board EQ and compression, these are very good sounding processors but with all the options for EQ and comps in the DAW's I think you will find yourself leaving these alone for the most part unless you wish to track with them. I do agree with you on the automation, I do all my fader automation on the d8b.

Hope this helps,

-Casey

*EDITED for spelling and grammar*
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Thu May 03, 2012 3:29 pm

+1 for the RME9652. I'd also skip the unitor unless you have a different reason to have it - as it does not add anything to the workflow and equipment you've described.

Unfortunately, neither the Mbox nor the M-Audio will be useful for the multitrack recording and mixing I understand you've named as your objective - they are only suited for 2-track recordings. If you have the firewire version of the 410 then its 8 outputs are one step closer to the goal, but it does pale in comparison to the 24(32-56) channel mixing capability of the d8b.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum