Change font size   Print view

S/PDIF RCA from PodHD500 to D8B input

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

S/PDIF RCA from PodHD500 to D8B input

Postby Scartt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Hello All
First of all ....Thank You for help in this forum... I am an old 32/8 bus + HDR 24/96 analog home studio guy with lots of ideas that has had the stuff stored in boxes for the last 10 years while I have been very busy out playing live in 2 bands trying to learn to actually play. About 2 weeks ago I stumbled across a D8B demo on YouTube and I saw the ( my ) future appear before me and felt as if I have climbed out of a time capsule . Since then I have just purchased a D8B online ( hasn' t arrived yet ) and plan to attempt a miraclous comeback in the digital age.
My first question relates to how do I take the S/PDIF RCA output from a Line 6 Pod HD500 to digitally input into the D8B or will I notice any difference just using the balanced analog xlr outputs of the pod straight into the D8B .I also have acquired a Focusrite Liquid Channel preamp / compressor with AES in/out which I believe I will need a PDI-8 AES / BEU card to interface into the D8B. Any suggestions are appreciated Thanks Scott
Scartt

Re: S/PDIF RCA from PodHD500 to D8B input

Postby Crash » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:41 pm

The PDI.8 will work for your POD even though it is SPIDF. You should try going analog out of your POD too, as it may float your audio boat as well. As for using the stereo digital I/O card, you could go that route with doing a channel insert if you plan on routing it to a recorder. You just have to keep in mind that the card truncates at 20 bit as opposed to the full 24 bits you would get going a different way.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Scartt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks Crash ...I am sure I will have a lot of questions once the mixer arrives and I get setup. Scott
Scartt

Postby Scartt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:29 pm

Hello again
After doing some more reading... would I need an interface like a Hosa CDL-313 to match impedance from SPDIF RCA to AES XLR or just a RCA to XLR adaptor cable Thanks again Scott
Scartt

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:38 pm

Here is some good reading on the subject. They have a few DIY solutions.

http://www.rane.com/note149.html

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:45 am

That's a most helpful link, Casey.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:52 am

No problem. I was looking into this last year when I was partnering up with a friend who was running a digi 002 rack and me a HDSP9652. We both had spdif outs but only one spdif input on the board. Never had to make an adapter cause I talked him into just upgrading to PT9 so he could use the RME!

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hyaena » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:45 am

Hi Scartt,

if you are talking about connecting SP/DIF to PDI8, don´t worry, that´s no problem.
I have connected my 3 digital verbs via that connection, and they´re all on cinch (SP/DIF RCA).
Forget about the different impedance of both, d8b let you switch between pro and consumer.
You will find it, I think it´s on "DIGITAL SETUP" or the like.

A good start
Manfred
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Scartt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks for your responses Crash , Casey and Manfred
Yes ...I am hoping to connect a S/PDIF RCA to an XLR input of a PDI-8 card in the ALT I/O slot of the D8B. Just not sure what you mean by " they're all on cinch ". Did you just use a XLR to RCA adaptor ? My D8B has still not arrived yet so I'm still just trying to read my way out of the dark..... Just wonder if the switch between pro and consumer that you mention is for the master AES / S/PDIF digital I/O card or would it apply to the PDI-8 card in the Alt I/O slot . Thanks Scartt
Scartt

Return to d8b Forum