Change font size   Print view

Have they all gone bottoms up???

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Have they all gone bottoms up???

Postby SteveT » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 am

Hi Guys......

For those that don't know me, I was a long time member of the original Mackie forum, and occasionally drop by here to say "Hi" to my old friends.... As my old friends know, I have left the music biz, and went back to an old hobby of mine, which is flying radio control model airplanes....some small (I.E. 41"), some, such as the one shown are "slightly" larger at 89" wingspan.... (The one in my avatar is 70" wingspan)

These are electric powered, the little ones, 11.1 volt nominal, the bigger ones 44.4 nominal...and the big one 5600 watts, or basically 7.5 horsepower, and swings a 24"X10" carbon fiber prop (in the photo it has a wood prop which was used on it's first flight)....lots of fun to fly!!!

Anyway...back to the topic at hand...the D8B....

In a quick perusal of the headers for a lot of the posts, it looks like the dear old D8B's are starting to drop like flies....if so, this is really too bad, as the D8B was for it's time a great machine (except for some of the problems that seemed to occur quite a lot...

Anyway...for those that know me, I hope all are doing well and and you are still making good music...For those that don't know me... Hello...and I hope you too are doing well and making good music...

SteveT
SteveT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Have they all gone bottoms up???

Postby Phil.c » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:16 am

Well Steve, I know you :lol: I'm glad to see that you are still keeping busy!

My D8b's are still going strong, still having fun with them!

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 am

Hello Steve, good to have you here!
No probs with MY d8b, I can assure! :D
But if you see some failing in Europe, do make sure to let me know (for parts I'd drive a few 100 kms, for sure)!
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:08 pm

No troubles here either... It seems there has been a turn over of owners and I seem to see a lot of new aquirees checking in when they have issues. One of my studio buddies is on the verge of dum ping his rig because so many of his other muso buddies are doing Logic and it is easier for him to go that route for file sharing...
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:57 am

Steve,

Many of the true die-hards are still here, but many are switching over to those new fangled DAW thingies (!!!!) and it appears that it is only the real dinasours, like me. who are still using their d8Bs and REAL (that could possibly be "reel") recorders these days.

7.4HP, you could almost climb on board and fly over to pay us (ie Peter, Marco -- if he is still around --- and myself) a visit !!!!!

Enjoy the flying and remember to stay in touch.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:33 am

It's always nice to see you Steve. My old console is still kicking.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SteveT » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:43 am

Glad to see some of my old friends still around and using the dear old D8B.... As you can figure from my post, I am still vertical and still have a pulse...so...it's not bad at the ripe old age of 61.... :D :D

and...though I am not nearly as good at flying as this young man (who had only been flying for two years when this video was made), this will give you an idea of what the plane I posted the picture of is capable of....And... you just might recognize the soundtrack...as you might have heard it when I still had my studio....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMPAuCyNWU&list=PL74D2E25253A9657F&index=7&feature=plcp

SteveT
SteveT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Steve,

Wow! that is some serious control Joe has over that little plane! Glad you are still flyin and still vertical. Nice guitar tone too, by the way 8-)

My d8b is just AWESOME as it always was, is, will be, whatever. Is it the newest greatest thing? ...no it is not, but it is still very cool and also works great. All the limitations and all the greatness in one package. It does what it does.

There is a learning curve and it can be frustrating but you really have to be in the box these days. This is why Marc G's mod is so interesting to me - And what does your crystal ball say about this RIDICULOUS recession? Up to my ears with the way things are. Glad to hear you are doing well though and thanks for checking in. You really helped me a lot in the early years of owning my d8b. All my love and the best to you and family.

Great to hear from you!

Michael
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby SteveT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Michael....

Actually, not so little....89" wingspan, at about 19.5 pounds....the same as the orange one in the picture I posted....it is just another available color scheme... :D

As to the economy...all I can say is both my wife and I got raises in our Social Security this year...:d

And Glad I was able to help...I had a bit of a learning curve myself, and a lot of the guys on the original forum helped me out, so, I just tried to "pay it forward"...

And last but not least.. A "Whole lotta Love" for you and yours too....:D :D :D

SteveT
SteveT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby dean » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi steve, great stuff! This is something i have always wanted to do.

I have this overwhelming fascination with the spitfire and have always wanted to build a scale flyer. One day i will get round to it, i cant see the wood through the trees at the moment lol.

I am one of the relatively new enigmatic d8b users and love it. Dont know what it is about it. It's kinda like an alfa romeo i once had. Beautiful problematic machine. When the going is good i wouldn't rather use anything else. The problem solving is strangely enjoyable to a degree too just like the alfa :) Obviously it would be a whole lot easier mixing 'in the box' but i find, amongst other things, there is less of a vibe during the process and they have no soul. D8b/hdr has buckets of soul!

Great video of your mate flying, super impressive! Your guitar tone sounds similar to an 83/84 strat elite? I am desperate for one of these guitars, best sounding strat imo.

take care,

dean.....
dean

Next

Return to d8b Forum