Change font size   Print view

Error 43 I am back!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Error 43 I am back!

Postby Dvox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Dvox here,Your newest member! First a thank you to Crash,hyaena and Synthjoe for the quick answer back. You people are Premium! OK so i got the battery in the MoBo I can do that! Then i read the posts and there is a question about the data cable which i don't have. I only have the big fat ''water supply'' with the big metal twist lock that goes to the mixer. I am guessing this is not a regular old go to radio shack and buy it item.(There are no Radio Shacks here anyway!).But I will not be deterred. I am stubborn that way.I guess in my excitement to see if this board worked at all I neglected to hook a mouse,a monitor and a keyboard to it.I am looking at eBay to get a general idea of what these come with but i just see the pcu, mixer and maybe the manual. They never show the data cable. Is this data cable wired a special way? I still have the problem of the fuse blowing i only put one in and until i get to the bottom of the reason i wont keep putting fuse after fuse in to watch it blow although the first one was pretty cool! Would it matter if the fuse was a L2 and not an L2.5 like the original was? I think not but i will listen to any reasonable suggestion.Also when you change the battery on the mother board does it wipe out the memory of the floppy bios err.. I am showing my computer ignorance again me thinks! I don't have the floppys is this a problem or is there a way to go on line with this pcu and get them loaded somehow? I am probably in over my head here, thanks for all the help so far I have learned a lot in the last few days! Peace
Dvox
P.S. I will keep posting until this is up and running and then we can all have a cyber beer together!
Dvox

Re: Error 43 I am back!

Postby hyaena » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Somebody is selling a hardcopy of the manual, in case you´re still interested:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/350529832923?ssP ... 1436.l2649

Located in London, UK, so no import taxes for living in Germany.

And yes, changing the battery wipes out memory on the motherboard.
Do you have a regular windows based PC ?
That´s the machine to format the starting discs for Mackie OS .

Manfred
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hyaena » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:11 pm

And here is the data cable:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Brand-New-Data-C ... 256a5f15ff

And synthjoe gave you great advice on detecting the reason for the blowing fuse.

Manfred
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Dvox, if I may suggest, don't post a new thread for every power issue you have this go 'round. It makes it hard for us to keep track of what was said where. Pick one of your threads and stick with it so we can be more helpful. Looking froward to my cyber beer. Once you get the data cable I bet things will start to move along nicely. I missed that part of the equation earlier.

You probably won't need any floppies for an OS update unless you are trying to go from version 3 to Version 5.1. I would get erverything up and running before thinking thatb far down the road.

The bios procedure is listed in the database here:

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post1

You are dead in the water until you get a data cable.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks for the kind words Dvox! OK, I think I can see the problem now - excitement is the enemy of systematic troubleshooting! :D Seriously though, keeping things to one thread as Crash suggested, will help everyone to keep track of developments and jump in when they feel they might be able help, without having to hunt down (or miss) details of previous steps.

Data cable is not quite a "plain" DB25 cable, but sometimes can be had as "printer extension cable", or it can be made from scratch for not that much money, if you're handy at soldering. The most difficult bit to this latter is probably to get a wire harness with 25 conductors, as the two connectors are wired straight through (pin1 on one end to pin1 on the other, pin2 to pin2, etc. - make sure you observe carefully which one is pin1 on the male and on the female connector). Regular serial port extension cables will not do, but the printer extension cable might work, more reliable would be probably the item on ebay as proposed, albeit at a higher cost. Error 43 is normal without this cable, no matter what your CPU does.

Also, you can download the manual from the Mackie site, which will help you to see how things are connected (around page 4 of chapter 1).
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum