Change font size   Print view

Another d8b down

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Another d8b down

Postby floodstage » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:10 am

I've owned and mixed w/my d8B for quite a while
I have posted (sparingly at best) in the old d8b forums under the same name, floodstage

My d8b is down hard for the 1st time in 10 years

Looking for 2 things, 1) confirmation of what it sounds like the problem is, and 2) a recommendation of where to send it

Some symptoms / precursors

I have a few times had the unit not boot right.
Rebooting usually would usually fix it.
A few times, it has done the Boom boom boom boom thing.
I reseated the BFC connector and that would fix it.

A week ago, I booted it up and the left output channel was working but the right wasn't
Tried to reboot and the control surface appears dead. No lights, led's fader movements, heat, nothing
The CPU does boot up and gets to the screen w/ faders etc and shows
error: DSP Control Card not ready. Last known state:reset

From what I read it sounds like I could have
1- ribbon cable issues
2- the dreaded rail capacitor failure
3- one of the power supplies has gone bad
my guess is the 3 and 2 simultaneously.

I live in Indianapolis Indiana
Any guesses to what is wrong and suggestions of where to send it?

Thanks!
Steve
floodstage

Re: Another d8b down

Postby floodstage » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 am

This is what I saw on another place on this forum that makes me think about the power supply:

(Although this specifies a problem, but not a solution)

--------------------------------
1. Aztec Supply: This is the first of two 5V power supplies in the CPU/PSU rack, this one being a switching power supply which provides the D8B with 5VDC, one of many supply voltages required by the board to drive its circuitry. If this supply blows, the console will appear dead although the CPU will boot up. After fully booted up, the monitor will display an error message ("reset").
---------------------------------

The boom boom boom I'd heard in the past (one time in the last week) seems to also say "dreaded rail capacitor"

That's why I think 3 causing 2, but I'm just grasping at straws.
floodstage

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:32 pm

My console, as well as another one I have access to, will occasionally do the pulsing deal with the master section flashing. I always reach back and make sure the big ass connector is good and tight as well as the data cable.

The place that I would send one if I were in that boat would be S&X in Seattle. Here is the address:

S & X Pro Audio 913 Industry Drive
Tukwila, WA 98188-3413

Phone: (206) 575-1704

These guys rebuilt a HUI for me and it came back aces. You might give them a call and see what they say. They have been inside many a d8b.

Have you looked inside your CPU yet? There are a couple of fuses in there as I recall, might be worth looking to see if one has blown. You might see something obviously blown up as well i regards to the various power supply units inside. Just a thought.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby floodstage » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks for that info.

I talked to Steve at S & X Pro Audio and he seemed very knowledgeable on the D8B
I'm sending them the CPU unit (he didn't think the issue was in the mixer portion)
I asked about cost in very round numbers and it sounds like their repairs are reasonable, especially since there are so few people that know the device)
I'll post back in a few weeks when I know more.

Thanks again!
Steve

Their address apparently has changed. It is now:

S & X Pro Audio
19510 144th Ave NE Suite B-1
Woodinville, WA 98072

Phone is the number in the above post was correct
Don't know if they moved or what, but that's where they told me to send it.
floodstage

Postby floodstage » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 am

Got my CPU back from S & X pro audio

The 5 V power supply that supplies the mixer was toasted - they replaced it for me
Also had the mother board swapped out while it was in

When I got it back, it worked for 2 hours or so and then froze up and would not reboot.
Opened it up and reseated everything and it came on and worked like new.
I've had it on for hours at a time 5 straight days, it's been solid.
I think something came loose in shipping.

It's good to have my mixer and studio back up and rolling! wOOt!!

S & X was pretty good to work with and they took my phone calls and didn't act annoyed when I asked a lot of questions about the repair process. When it froze the one time, I called and they were ready to have it picked up and returned for re-repair and were going to pay for shipping both ways. Luckily for me, the reseat worked. Doing without my board is something I don't like to do!
floodstage

Postby Crash » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Those guys do rock. They rebuilt a HUI for me that turned out really well, so I send everyone that needs repair their way. They seem to stand by their work and are quite reasonable.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby floodstage » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Crash wrote:Those guys do rock. They rebuilt a HUI for me that turned out really well, so I send everyone that needs repair their way. They seem to stand by their work and are quite reasonable.

I appreciate the referral.

Until you gave me a place to go, I was thinking about rebuilding my studio based around something else.
Nothing has the easy workflow that the d8b does and I'm glad I don't have to change now!
floodstage

Return to d8b Forum