Change font size   Print view

HELP.... Getting frustrated here!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

HELP.... Getting frustrated here!

Postby Mistahand » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:09 am

Well, I have been trying for a week to get my d8b and my HDR to talk and play some music. Today I received my Apogee clock card, so I thought I'd be up and running in no time. But no....
In my d8b I have 3-OPT8 cards in the tape in/out slots, a PDI-8 card in the ALT I/O slot. (why? You may ask? Just because I wanted to fill the slot... Don't have any extra blank covers) I also have my clock card in the sync slot.
In my HDR I have, 3-DIO 8 cards installed.
I have the HDR and d8b connected via optical cables. I also have midi cables hooked up. For some reason I get NOTHING.

Can someone PLEASE help me. What am I missing???
I went in the settings in both units and looked around.. But I don't know if the settings are correct..

If someone has some time maybe a phone call will help, and talk me through it.

Thanks in advance
John Dodge
Mistahand

Re: HELP.... Getting frustrated here!

Postby FrankH » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:07 am

Is there a BNC WordClock cable connection between the D8B and HDR? If so, have you set the Sync setup correctly within each unit?
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mistahand » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:26 am

I have 75ohm bnc cables hooked between each unit. I think I have it hooked up correctly, but not 100% sure
John Dodge
Mistahand

Postby High C Double G » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:01 am

Make sure all the Eprom versions are the same on all the DIO-8 cards, if they are not the same it will not work.

FYI: lifted from here... http://www.mackie.com/support/FAQ/D8B_d ... .html#dio8

Version 1 (M-108C, V 1.01) –16-bit only, SYNC output is in phase with the word clock (incorrect according to the TASCAM standard).

Version 2 (Version 2, 127 Ver 2) – 24-bit throughput, SYNC output phase with respect to word clock is still incorrect.

Version 2.1 (Ver 2.1) – 24-bit throughput, SYNC output phase corrected to work properly with the older DTRS recorders.

Note: When connecting DIO-8 cards together, be sure they are all running the same EPROM version.

This above is what I was talking about on another post... Version 2, 127 Ver 2 has the clock signal in phase with the clock card and Mackie fixed it with Ver 2.1 to flip the clock signal so it works with the Tascam machines and now out of phase with the clock... but what matters most is that ALL cards run the same version whatever that may be - if one card is different it will not work, period.
FWIW, the simplest way to fix that problem if you have it and also, if you have the money, is to obtain three more OPT-8 cards and sell the DIO-8 cards. It'll run you about $300 USD where I sit.

Sorry you are having so much trouble, I can relate I went through a lot of similar experiences. When I got it working it was a very good day.

You need midi between both machines. Please disregard information between brackets it is wrong

[if you want to check MIDI easily, obtain a 9-pin straight through D style cable, Pin 1 to Pin 1, Pin 2 to Pin 2, ect... this will positively connect it the right way. This will only connect the HDR and the d8b together]

- if at a later time you need to introduce MIDI to other pieces of gear to become part of the system, (i.e. computer, keyboard, recorders, washing machine :roll: ) you will need the break out cables on both the HDR and the d8b. Everything needs to be connected and the BIOS settings also need to be checked and double checked. All of this can be found in the manual and also the DATABASE has information about problems and offers a way to fix the problems; the Mackie FAQS page is also a help.

here... http://www.mackie.com/support/FAQ/d8b.html

and here... http://www.mackie.com/support/FAQ/D8B_detailed.html

I am not familiar with any of the Mackie recorders... but I am sure that there is similar information on those too.

Hope this helps,
Michael
Last edited by High C Double G on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Zorba the Geek » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:39 am

Mistahand,

First things first. Have you carefully read through the d8b and HDR manuals, checked out the online FAQs at the Mackie site and the database site here at this forum? If not, now may be a good time to start. I have posted in your "Word clock" thread, giving quite detailed and highly specific information regarding digital clocking, in addition to identifying the parts you will require to clock your particular setup. Did you bother to check back on that thread and read through that information? Digital clocking however may or may not be the problem with your situation of "I get NOTHING." Nothing doesn't really tell me too much other than you are not currently getting what you want.

I know you are getting frustrated. So am I. This is because your posts are not specific enough. They do not tell us what you know, nor what you are trying to achieve in enough detail for us to help. There are a number of variables involved in getting sound out of a digital mixing desk. There are even more variables, if you want consistently reliable, useable and glitch free sounds.

1) Your cable connections (digital, analog and clocking). Are these correct and have they been double-checked?
2) Digital clocking setup. Master and slave settings involving both correct cabling, cable termination and software setup.
3) Getting an analog or digital signal into the desk using correct gain staging for the required input.
4) Internal signal flow within the console getting from your desired input to your desired output.

Your situation of "I get nothing" could be a problem with any one of these areas. Now I don't know which one that might be and you have given me limited clues as to which one is most likely. You must first of all spend the time to read up on the basics. You say you "went in the settings in both units and looked around...But I don't know if these settings are correct." Well that simply does not tell us enough about what you are trying to achieve and also points to the fact that you don't really know what you are trying to achieve at the level of specific changes you are trying to make to your software settings.

In another thread, you say you have plugged a microphone in and gotten sound out of your connected monitors. Great. So it sounds like you have gotten sound from an analog microphone input in bank 1 to your master stereo output. Now getting sound from this same input channel and directing it out to your HDR via an optical output requires you to configure your multi-track direct outs. See page 46 of the d8b manual. In this way, you can send the mic signal to eg Tape out 1-channel 25. This will route the mic signal to the OPT8 tape output, which should then arrive at your HDR at the channel 1 DIO8 input. This of course assumes you have setup the DIO8 cards to accept this signal on the ADAT input port and not the TDIF port. This is explained in the HDR technical reference manual. Once all of these steps have been understood, undertaken and checked, you can then tell us what is or is not happening in greater detail.

You may or may not have a problem with your equipment. It may simply be a case of pilot error. You can help us help you by giving us detailed information in a clear manner that lists your level of understanding and your troubleshooting attempts. This is all part of good forum etiquette, particularly when requesting assistance with technical information about how to setup your system.

Multiple posts about the same setup problem also clutter up the site and split up the useful information into separate chunks that can easily get missed. Oh and a thank you for your assistance and time is always nice too!

Kind regards,
George
Zorba the Geek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:46 am

High C Double G wrote:You need midi between both machines, if you want to check MIDI easily, obtain a 9-pin straight through D style cable, Pin 1 to Pin 1, Pin 2 to Pin 2, ect... this will positively connect it the right way.

You see, this is what I'm saying in my Advice thread. A straight thru 9 pin will NOT work. It needs to be a crossover cable which is not available. It needs to be custom made.

Midi Breakout Cable. Roll Your Own

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Zorba the Geek » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:03 am

Michael,

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Peter about the quality of some of the advice you are supplying to newcomers on this forum. I know you are only trying to help, but please make the effort to carefully check your facts. If you are not completely sure, point them in the direction of the forum database (which the two Peter's have compiled and made available at great effort). This is the second time this week Mistahand has been misinformed and this only adds to his level of frustration in trying to get his system up and running. It also means others have to step in and correct any mistakes.

Mistahand, could you also please help the situation by keeping your repeated requests for help contained in the one thread. This makes it better for all concerned, including you. Thanks all.

Kind regards,
George
Zorba the Geek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mistahand » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:28 am

Thanks for the info George. I appreciate all the help from the other members too. I believe I hooked everything up correctly. I believe my issue maybe in the software configuration. Just wish it was a little more clear in the manuals, but I'll hit the books again. Any chance of a phone conversation in the near future, George? Email me if you can..... Jdodge01@nycap.rr.com
John Dodge
Mistahand

Postby Zorba the Geek » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:16 am

Hi again Mistahand, (What is your actual name? It's always nice to know who I'm actually talking to.)

Not a problem with the information you have been provided by myself and others. Now if you can hit the books and then get back to us with more detailed questions, we'll see what we can do to help. Regarding a phone conversation, I'm sorry but that may be a little difficult to arrange right now. I am in at work at the moment (I'm a school music teacher based in Melbourne Australia) and cannot make international calls on the school's phone system. I am only on the forum during my breaks at the moment as a few of my private students are sitting exams today.

As regards your d8b and HDR interfacing problems, what is it you are trying to achieve? Are you trying to record something. How many channels? What is not working? Break it down into manageable and specific questions and then look into the possible causes in a systematic way.

As I have suggested, the DIO8 setup section in your HDR manual is a good place to start. I could call you and give you a quick fix answer, but that would not help you next time around when another question arises related to signal flow with the d8b and HDR. A little reading at your end and some time spent experimenting and trying a few things out will help immensely and have you feeling much better about your interactions with your equipment.

The section on signal flow in the d8b manual is also very important, as there are a number of banks that interact with the physical mixing console in interesting and sometimes confusing ways. The d8b's internal digital routing also affects the way inputs and outputs can be used. Signals can come in and out in many different ways, and you need to have a plan about how you want to work with your equipment. Understanding where signals are going within the d8b is very important if you want to get signals where you intend, especially if you are using a multi-track recorder like the HDR as well. The d8b manual goes through a variety of scenarios and setups in great detail. Check them out.

This forum is a great resource with lots of helpful and knowledgeable people, however some effort is required on your behalf. Please take the time to read some manuals, possible even looking into the basics of digital audio and clocking if this is your first attempt at working with digital audio. By the way, is this your first attempt at using a digital system? What prior recording experience do you have? No need to feel embarrassed if you are a complete newbie at this, as I have only been at it a few years myself. I come from a background as a gigging and session musician and started a small project recording studio after I bought my house and had the time and space to give it a go.

Good luck on the reading and let us know how you go.

Also, thanks to the two Peter's for setting this place up and gathering and organizing all the information made available in the database section of the forum. It is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
George
Zorba the Geek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:07 pm

I am truly sorry d8b forum,

I don't know anything about the HDR. Embarrassed at my lack-luster posting. It is clearly posted in the DataBase that the DB9 to DB9 is a crossover cable not a straight through. I will do the fact checking before posting anything rather than going from memory. Sorry Mistahand.

George and Peter what else did I miss?

Michael
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum