Change font size   Print view

I don't have a Midi card in my D8B, where can I get one

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

I don't have a Midi card in my D8B, where can I get one

Postby Larmond » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:37 pm

I didn't get a midi card when I bought my D8B, but I want to use my console as a controller for Logic 9. I have 5.1 installed. Can I syn using lightpipe connection, I have apogee fro the time code. how do I setup? I'm new to this, any help would be great.
Larmond

Re: I don't have a Midi card in my D8B, where can I get one

Postby High C Double G » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:36 am

Hi Larmond,

The MIDI card has a D-sub connector, 9-pin I think, so it doesn't look like a regular MIDI port(s). Not sure if you know this. Also, eBay is about your only way to get the right one if you don't have one. There are a couple of US sellers that have a specialty for selling used d8b parts and you can try them. Hope this helps,
Michael

PS: oh I just noticed your other question... you can not sync without a MIDI card. You definitely need a MIDI signal to get the machines to link up.
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:55 am

I think it has to be a MIDIMAN WINMAN 1x1 ISA card, quite difficult to get these days. Check for the 9 pin D-sub connector, it is quite rare that a desk comes without, as it can hardly be used for anything else... ;)

EDIT: got a picture for you...

PIC_0048a.JPG
d8b MIDI card
PIC_0048a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 2940 times
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:16 pm

Just to cover the bases because Larmond is new to the D8B.

I'm sort of assuming you're a little unfamiliar with the various bits of I/O and where they are located.
When you say you don't have a MIDI card....where are you looking? On the back of the D8B itself or the PSU?

Are you looking for a pair of traditional 5 pin MIDI connectors?

What Hi C and Synthjoe (and thanks for that photo) are pointing you to is the card that resides in the back of the PSU itself. I mention this because many times people who buy used D8Bs typically find themselves missing not the MIDI card itself, but rather, either the one-piece MIDI breakout plug or "pigtail" breakout cable.

Here's a photo of the "one-piece" connector version and where it is located on the PSU.
D8Bmidi.JPG
D8Bmidi.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 2926 times

And I sure hope it's just the breakout connector you're missing, as that is fairly easy to cobble together. Check the DATABASE for the wireup, if that is the case.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Larmond » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks Guy for your help I do have a nine pin card on the back of my CPU, so I need to try and find a break out cable, I'll Check the DATABASE for the wireup, does the cable need to be wired in a special way or will any breakout cable work??
Larmond

Postby synthjoe » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:21 pm

There's no 'standard' breakout cable readily available from a regular supplier on the market AFAIK (apart from those on ebay, which might be a gamble at times), so you're best off rolling your own, if you can. Nothing complicated, modest soldering skills should suffice - plus the parts needed, of course. Make sure you get the pin numbering right on both the Sub-D and DIN connectors as MIDI signals are polarity sensitve - i.e. will not work if you connect the wires the wrong way by accident.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:02 am

Waddya know....I made a good guess. Okeydoke. Here's wiring chart and finished product .jpg's lifted from our database. You should be able to find the connectors fairly easily from the 'net.
d8b_midi_breakout_2.jpg
d8b_midi_breakout_2.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2910 times

Midi_Breakout_Pic.jpg
Midi_Breakout_Pic.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2910 times

Once you have the parts and a foot or so of decent shielded stereo (2 conductor) cable, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to cobble this.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby angrychone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:49 pm

I have an older mac running Logic. I'm trying to interface my d8b with a Midisport Uno but I can't get it to see the d8b. It says that it's not getting any information. I was wondering if there was something in the Mackie Real Time 3 software that I needed to do to make sure it's sending midi info. I will post more specifics when I get home, but I was hoping someone would know what to do.

Thanks!
angrychone

Postby McKay Records » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Larmond I just sent you a message about parts!!!

McKay Records
McKay Records

Return to d8b Forum