Change font size   Print view

Popping during playback

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Popping during playback

Postby bkbannon3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:36 am

If its not one thing its another. As suggested by synthjoe, I may have a clock card problem. I am getting a lot of popping during playback. Seems to be getting worse and worse. Started out occasional, now an all out assault. I am running an apogee clock card from D8b to HDR. I changed the bnc cable but didn't do any good. I am not sure what the clock card does or how it is supposed to be hooked up to HDR. I have an in/out on both the card on the D8B and HDR. Cables were marked to hook up from the D8B in to the HDR in. This has been working, but it doesn't seem right for both ends to be hooked into inputs on both devices. Also, in the setup window, on the D8b, the options are internal and word clock. This has always been set to internal. On the HDR, word clock, options are internal and word clock(bnc). this to is set to internal. I unhooked the cable completely from the D8b and I am still getting the popping noise. Any ideas, suggestions, additional cuss words I havn't thought of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brian
bkbannon3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Popping during playback

Postby bkbannon3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:54 am

Interesting development. I have turned all the auxes off and the popping has stopped. I turned them on one at a time, (for loaded effects) and as soon as I got to aux 5, it started popping. I left it off and turned 6, 7, and 8 on. No problems, no popping, as soon as i hit aux 5, and start loading it, i get the popping. I have tried different effects, and all start popping as soon as I load the aux. Could my mfx card be bad? any ideas, thanks. Brian
bkbannon3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:56 am

You have 2 choices. You can use the d8b as Master or the HDR as master. BNC should run from master source out to slave destination in. If you use the HDR as master (recommended), you should set the d8b to Wordclock. Make sure your sample rate is identical on both machines. This database entry is worth a read.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby synthjoe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:19 am

d8b 'out' should go to HDR 'in', then set (leave) the d8b to 'internal' and the HDR to 'word clock(bnc)'. Should work like that. The weird behaviour is kind of normal when the two devices are not synced, which is the case for you - even though there is a cable, it is connected to the wrong connectors and even if they were connected right, 'internal' sync on both ignores whatever clock signal flows on the cable. Good luck fixing it!

EDIT: sorry, I've missed out on Peter's post. I have not much experience with the HDR (it's been almost 10 years I last touched one), so I thought that d8b should be the master. I guess Peter is more experienced in this config, so go for the solution he suggested. HDR 'out' to d8b 'in', d8b set to 'word clock' and HDR to 'internal'. The difference between my previous recommendation (d8b master) and this (HDR master) is which device will be the clock reference. Both configurations work, the other device will follow, if setup like these. In your current configuration (both devices set to internal clock and cable connected incorrectly) both machines are run by their own internal clock and think they are the 'boss', irrespective of what the other device would like them to be synced to. This creates casual pops (when clock signals are skipped, or 'out of phase'), as no two disjunct clock signals are perfectly in time - hence the need to sync them. That's also why your earlier problem with the 4 kHz difference (distortion) could happen, because both devices were set up as masters (='internal') and ignored incoming sync signal , even if the BNC cable were connected correctly. Check cable connection and make sure the setup is matching either configuration, as described above.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bkbannon3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:15 pm

As usual, you all are right on the money. Set chain as described and all is perfect again. It is amazing how long things will just "work" when they are not absolutely correct. But the problems will arise and must be dealt with. This is the greatest forum in the world for a D8b user. thank you all for your time and patients. Brian
bkbannon3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 am

Guys,

I have not used the d8B and HDR (I use d8B and 2 x Alesis HD24), so I do not know what the specifics of the combination of Mackie unts might be.

BUT, I don't follow how the problem was only observed when Aux 5 was selected, but was corrected when the clocking between the two units was altered.

Why is Aux 5 different in electreonics/whatever, to every other Aux channel? And, has the problem really been solved, or is it one of those intermittent things, that just happened to temporarily correct itself at the exact same time as the clocking was changed?

For Brian's sake, I hope that I have really missed something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum