Change font size   Print view

Off topic Windows help needed (Need guidance)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Off topic Windows help needed (Need guidance)

Postby Axeman098 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:16 pm

I realize this is a tad off topic, but PLEASE bear with me as it relates to a machine I'd LIKE to run Marc's software on when it comes out. Any Windows Guru's in here I could REALLY use your help or advice on this one.

I have a Proliant DL580 G3 Rack Server, w/4 - 3Ghz Dual Core CPU's, 16Gb of Ram, 4 300Gb SCSI drives (863Gb RAID 5 array). What I WANT to do is one of two things. 1) Somehow install Windows 7 DIRECTLY onto the DL580.
2) Configure ESXi 5 with a single VM of Windows 7 Pro ON the DL580 My GOAL is to use the Proliant as my Primary Music production box, with Marc's solution running the D8Bridge on it. I would LIKE ideally to run Windows 7 on it directly....BUT....

I tried to get Windows 7 to load Directly onto the Server, but ran into an issue with the Storage drivers. I backed up all the system drivers from an earlier Server 2008 x64 install, as I've been told repeatedly by many of my IT Geek co-workers those drivers SHOULD work fine with Windows 7 x64, but while the installer DOES recognize the drivers, it won't let me use them because it says they are unsigned. This confused me a bit, because they ARE Microsoft drivers straight off the Server 2008 disk. Still, upon making inquiries, I have been told by several engineers at my company that those drivers SHOULD work in x64 Win 7, I just don't know how to get The Windows installer for 7 to use the drivers it's sees, unsigned or not, and recognize the RAID array/SCSI disks so I can proceed with the install.

All I REALLY want is to run Windows 7 on the Server so my Audio Production stuff (Sonar, VST's, etc.) AND Marc's D8Bridge software can run natively on the beefy hardware. I know it's not directly supported, but in theory, it SHOULD run as well as Server 2008 IF I can get it to accept the Server 2008 storage drivers from the backup folder. Again, I have been told by several engineers that it SHOULD work once I can get the 7 installer to use the "unsigned" drivers. The installer DOES see the SAS and SCSI controller drivers, it knows what they are in the folder I am telling it to look in, but it just won't let me use them to proceed. Does anyone know how to get around this??There HAS to be a way to just TELL it to use the drivers. I done this trick in reverse before using Windows 7 x64 drivers in Server 2008 when no direct server driver was available, so I know there is at least SOME similarity to the driver structures between the 2 OS's.

Any advice or insight would be gratefully appreciated. I've got this AWESOMELY beefy old Rack Chassis I basically got for free, and I'm just DYING to make it the heart of my studio along with the D8B. Any suggestions from some of the more knowledgable Windows geeks here would be appreciated tremendously. I backed up the Server 2008 drivers using a program called Double Driver. I was also told I could use Server 2008 to do it, but I couldn't figure out how to get the Server OS to make the backup folder with JUST the system drivers, so I went with Double Driver because we use it at work to capture drivers to use in system images for Enterprise deployments. The Windows 7 installer can "See" every driver and knows what each one is (SAS, SCSI, etc.) in the folder I backed them up too, it just won't allow me to use them because it thinks they are unsigned. Can anyone offer any help with this one?
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Off topic Windows help needed (Need guidance)

Postby synthjoe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:42 am

Can't you use XP, perhaps? I'm asking because I know that XP can be made to work on this HW but have no experience with Win7, sorry...
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:33 pm

REALLY???? Wow, hadn't thought of that. But wouldn't XP have the same problem as Windows 7 detecting the Smart Array 6i SCSI controller? I'd also have to use XP x64bit to take advantage of the 16Gb of Ram, and NOBODY supports XP x64 anymore. Sonar X1 doesn't support it at all, and that's my primary DAW. XP x64 was really a mess anyway in my experience with it.

What pisses me off, is that The 7 installer DOES see a compatible driver, even when I check the box to Hide Drivers that are incompatible with my system. It can see the Smart Array 6i Controller driver, and even with the box checked, offers me 2 drivers (one normal, one x64) in the list. But when I try to use them, I get a pop up warning telling me that I cannot use unsigned x64 drivers because it might cause an unstable condition. The drivers come straight from the Server 2008 OEM driver pool, so they're essentially M$ OEM drivers. THAT is what's pissing me off. The driver works effortlessly in Server 2008, but 7 x64 won't let me use it. There HAS to be a way to force the use of unsigned drivers during the install. I just don't know the trick.....
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:10 pm

What I need to figure out is how to disable the Driver Signature requirement DURING the installation process. I know how to disable it once 7 is on the box, but I need it off to get the installer to see the driver for the RAID array on the controller.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:57 pm

XP needed a hack for that, but it worked. I use XP currently, have no problem with my SW packages - it is true that I'm not going for the latest and greatest but the one that works for me and makes my workflow fast and reliable. I only upgraded when manufacturers 'forced' me (e.g. not supporting a particular platform - be it SW or HW), but I'm quite happy producing stuff with and using equipment even if it is old.

XP64 never appealed to me - maybe you'd encounter the same problem, so I'm not suggesting you should go this way. As far as driver signing is concerned, I'm pretty sure that setup configuration files do give you this option, I just don't know how they work in Win7. Maybe some googling for 'win7 setup configuration files' or 'win7 setup driver signing disable' will yield some usable forum results.

Good luck and please do let us know if you find something!
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:48 am

Problem solved! :) YEEHAAAAAA! Yes you CAN run Windows 7 Enterprise on an HP Proliant Server! Figured out the trick. You have to embed the driver into your installer package on the .iso using vLite. The Server 2008 Driver works flawlessly when inserted this way! It saw the RAID 5 array on the 6i Controller perfectly, and installed with no issues! In fact, Windows 7 automatically installed all but ONE device driver the server. Ironically the same "Base System Device" that Server 2008 also cannot find. I'll trace that down eventually through the device properties info, but dude....seriously???? It SCREAMS!!!! lol Seriously though, the best part is that now the OS limitations are gone, and I can connect ANYTHING to the box and know it will work. Thanks to Win7, all my PCI cards, PCI Video (For Dual Display capability), Firewire, Wireless, M-audio interface, etc. work without issue. Did I mention it was Balls on fire fast? :)

The best part is going into CTRL ALT DEL/Task Manager/Performance Tab, and seeing 16 CPU's (8 Real/8 Hyperthreaded) chugging away with 16 Gb of Ram humming along with it. :D F-in EPIC man! I'm a geek....I get off on it lol I realized that considering the pricetag of the D8B when it was new, and the pricetag of the Server I'll be running it on, yer talkin $20k retail for both.....It's like finally gettin to play with "Big Boy" hardware and the possibilities are just EPIC! :D I will see if I can post a video of my entire 7ft rack, with Server, LCD's, KVM, Pre's, and the D8B running the Bridge conversion. You have NO IDEA how friggin stoked I am to set this rig up and record. I can't WAIT to see how many VST's, plug ins, instruments etc. I can run at the same time. It's going to feel like recording on the Bridge of the Starship Enterprise! hahahha

Many thanks to all who chimed in :P I've got to go warm up the SCSI Warp Engines :P
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:00 am

Glad to hear, congratulations for making it work - I love to do these kind of things, too... A Proliant 580 for DAW, that's really someghing to show off! Waiting for the pictures! :D
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Yeah, it's a freakin BEAST! LOL Total overkill, but then, thats a GOOD thing for recording. I don't think I'll EVER be able to actually stress the Server with my projects, but then...thats kinda what I wanted. NO headroom limitations at all! :P I called in favors with my IT Coworkers and made it into a little challenge. We had an office bet going on whether or not it would work. Some of the more experimental type guys were all about it, while most of the old guard Server heads said no way it woulod, or why would you want to do that? I knew the Controller driver would work, IF I could get it in there somehow. Win 7 and Server 2008 share much of the same Kernel, and I'd tricked Server 2008 with Win7 drivers before, so I knew there was SOME interchangability. Using vLite to embed the driver works FLAWLESSLY! :) 7 saw the array and rolled through the install effortlessly. I was like a Proud Parent and giddy kid at Christmas all in one when I got it to a desktop :) I was pleasantly surprised that 7 found all but one of the hardware drivers(just like 2008), and NEITHER OS is supposed to run on this Server. So far the 580 runs it's ASS off in Windows 7! I mean, dude.... it's SCARY FAST! :P My initial tests with some sizable Sonar Projects didn't even stress the cpu's or drives even CLOSE to 10% of capacity, even one with 20 different VST's running, so I know headroom on this beast will NOT be an issue anytime soon :P

Needless to say, I won the bet, and got considerable "street cred" with my geek buddies for being able to pull it off. Now they're all looking for Proliant Servers to run it on LOL!!!! I have 2 DL380 G3's I wanted to do this too over a year ago, that I can now setup for either my buddies, or for sale. Once the controller driver is embedded into the iso, it works like a champ on ANY Proliant Server running a 5i/6i Series Smart Array SCSI controller.

And I will DEFINITELY get a video or some pics up very soon to show off the setup. :P This thing is just got all kinds of horsepower I don't even think I tap! Just the 16 cpu cores alone gives me a Geek stiffy LOL

I cannot WAIT to play with Marc's mod running it on this setup! It's going to be EPIC!!!! :)
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum