Change font size   Print view

Custom D8B Console Desk

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Custom D8B Console Desk

Postby exitmike » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:14 am

Hey guys, I have been searching on the net for some DIY console desk layouts for the D8B and was wondering if anybody here has attempted or successfully created one. I really like the layout of the Argosy 90's series desks and even have the dimensions from the manufacture website. http://www.argosyconsole.com/html_inter ... D8BRC.html

If anyone has pictures or suggestions it would be a great help.
The reason for this project is mainly my budget... i have seen some used desks for other mixers, but still over a $1000.

im hoping to spend half of that, since I still have all my tools from my control room construction.

any feedback is appreciated.

mike
Mike
Sound Engineer
Exit Studios
http://www.exitstudios.ca
exitmike

Re: Custom D8B Console Desk

Postby High C Double G » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:55 am

I got my 70 series for $500 years ago used and in flawless condition. With the Maple (or is it Oak) sides! Anyway, if i were at my computer I would attempt a photo, but I am on someone elses now. but it is nice. They are out there...

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Hey Mike!

I asked my good friend (studio designer) to draw me a desk for my d8b. That's why my unit has the side and the arm rest removed, we're gonna sink it in some sort of custom made table. Those big plastics sides are just for looks, the footprint of the d8b is a lot smaller without those... I'm just saying! :D

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby exitmike » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Cant seem to find used desks at a good price in my area (shipping is a beast).

I think i will start designing my desk from scratch and maybe steal some ideas from other desks.
Anything will be better than my Ikea Desk im using at the studio... its sad... my d8b deserves better. I might even use existing components from the Ikea Jerker desk and chop it up...

Marc... i know you are busy with the Bridge... but post photos of the desk when it comes to life...
I only just realized how naked your d8b looked in the last video you posted.... its kinda cute without the bulky plastic.

I'll post up pics of my drafts when they are completed.

anyone else with tips would be great.
Mike
Sound Engineer
Exit Studios
http://www.exitstudios.ca
exitmike

Postby High C Double G » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:25 pm

exitmike wrote:Cant seem to find used desks at a good price in my area (shipping is a beast).

Yes, I kinda lucked into mine I guess... They are out there. Mine was a local pick up, thank goodness, and the seller help me tear it down and load it. He didn't really want to sell it, I think he was getting some pressure from the girlfriend :shock: --- I never saw her, but I heard her... :shock: :shock:

good luck with the build, it'll be just like you like it that way. I built a set of speaker stands that are great, but it did take a while.

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby frama78 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:43 am

exitmike wrote:I think i will start designing my desk from scratch and maybe steal some ideas from other desks.
Anything will be better than my Ikea Desk im using at the studio... its sad... my d8b deserves better. I might even use existing components from the Ikea Jerker desk and chop it up...

i have exact the same intention! i have a jerker myself and i´d like to bulid something in the argosy/sunk-in style. great idea with the disassambly of the armrest and sides. this would save a lot of space an it would be much easier to make it fit, because of the angles and radiuses of the plastic-sides.... awsome idea indeed :o

a first little sketch has brought something like this
Attachments
jerk1.jpg
jerk1.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 2006 times
frama78

Return to d8b Forum