Change font size   Print view

Restore Factory Settings and other Questions

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Restore Factory Settings and other Questions

Postby frama78 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:23 am

Hi there,

I´ve just got my D8b! Can anybody tell me, how to restore the factory-settings? the manual says that i just have to klick "Reset Template" but i think, that there have been more settings changed, than this command will erase....

How can i switch the device back to the delivery-settings?

the other little issue is, that the CPU is very noisy. Should i replace the fan or do you suggest to house it somekind of of an Isolated-Rack?

i´ve connected the Midi-"Snake" with my Interface and added a new HUI to my Sequenzer (Studio One). When I switch to HUI-Mode, I get the LED Meters working, but no other function will work... no faders, no transport,... what´s the deal here? :?

Frank
frama78

Re: Restore Factory Settings and other Questions

Postby FrankH » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:45 am

Start with a New Session and then Reset Template.

Studio One v1.6.5 will work In HUI mode with a D8B running v5.1.

Make sure that both MIDI In and MIDI out are running to your interface.
In Studio One's Preferences/External Devices/Options, Click: Add... and pick Mackie HUI from the list. From the device page, set the "Receive From" and "Send To" to the MIDI port on your interface that are connected to the D8B.

This part is the most important: Click "OK" in order for Studio One to properly communicate with the D8B. If you keep the Device window open and don't click OK, nothing will work.

As far as I can tell, the D8B will read the track names from Studio One. The transport will work, the Jog wheel will scroll the cursor, Mutes, Solos, Faders, Pans and Select will work. Lit Insert buttons will mute Studio One's insert chain as long as you click/hold the button. Beyond that, not much else. It would appear that Presonus's HUI implementation is kind of sucky...compared to say, how Cubase 6.0.4 deals with it. Pretty much everything works between Cubase and the D8B's implemented mapping in HUI mode.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby frama78 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:21 am

thanks frank! i do have a 5.1-version and i have added a HUI to the interface with is connectet with the cpu. Studio One recognizes the HUI. So on this side is probably everything ok. I guess so, since S1 shows no errors oder "not connected"-messages.

the previous owner of the D8b had a mac-based logic. I use XP with S1; so my guess is that i first have to reset everything to factory status. even midi-settings and maybe the bios? should i pull the memory battery out to make everything gone? what´s the recommendation for "initialisation"?
frama78

Postby FrankH » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:51 pm

what´s the recommendation for "initialisation"?

Exactly what I wrote:
Start with a New Session and then Reset Template.

It is not a bad idea to simply replace the battery from a used machine as a matter of ruling it out as a trouble spot as you begin to use the D8B. Checking and resetting the BIOS is also a good idea as a matter of routine maintenance...but it's not going to really do anything to "reinitialize" the D8B back to factory application default settings. That's what "Start with a New Session and then Reset Template" is all about.

If you do that, replace the battery and reset the BIOS. Setting PDFs are available here:
http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance ... nance.html#Post1

As to your fan noise issue, Isolation boxes work...but they are pretty expensive and bulky. There is info on fan replacement here:
http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/CPU.html#Post2
If you were considering an isolation box, it suggests that you may have some room in your workspace. Have you considered moving the CPU to different room...within the main cabling length limitation?
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum