Change font size   Print view

Talkback

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Talkback

Postby pierce1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:11 am

I have just set up a new to me D8b and everything is working except the talkback. It works if phones are connected to the phones out on the back and also on the studio outs but doesn't work on the phones/cue mix (9-10, 11-12) to our patch bay. The audio mix works fine just no talkback. Any ideas thanks :?:
pierce1

Re: Talkback

Postby Crash » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Just to clarify, using the same 1/4 inch hole at the back of the console, gives you Talkback with the headphones straight in but not if you hook up a patch bay to the same place?

My money is on somethng odd with the wiring to your patchbay or patchbay configuration.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Looking at the block diagram, I would say that the talkback signal is only present in three physical outputs: Phones 1, Phones 2 and Studio Out (When the 'Talkback to Studio' is lit up).

Don't expect any talkback signal in the Aux Out 9-10 and Aux Out 11-12 physical outputs.

The block diagram can be found in the Owners Manual OS 5.1 on Chapter 1, Page 15.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crash » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Petersueco wrote:Don't expect any talkback signal in the Aux Out 9-10 and Aux Out 11-12 physical outputs.

This where I get a little fuzzy with what holes he is hitting as well....
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pierce1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks for the replies guys maybe I am confusing you a bit but not as confused as I am, Cue 1 and cue 2 mixes are routed to aux 9-10 or 11-12 as auxiliary stereo pairs. If I insert a headphone into phones 1 or two at the rear I get the mix and can hear talkback when the button is pressed. Somehow this is routed to my patchbay on patch 9-10 (AUX) I can still hear the mix but no talkback! How do you guys set up for talkback? Is there something to set up in the software that I have missed.
This is a replacement D8b my technician has replaced everything exactly th esame as far as wiring is concerned the old one worked fine and we were able to use talkback on the cue mix.
I don't know if this helps cheers
pierce1

Postby Crash » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Sounds like your talkback is working fine. I would imagine something is hooked up differently at the patchbay at this point. If you are using the physical 9/10 and 11/12 aux jacks to feed the patchn=bay, you won't hear talkback there. If you use the physical jacks for phones 1 and phones 2 jack to hit your bay, the you would. I don't run my phones sends through a bay. I do however run auxes 9-12 there to hit some outboard whiz bang boxes. Since this used to work for you, I am betting you have somethng hooked up in a different manner than before.

The only place that talkback signal will be present is physically on jacks Phones 1(aux 9/10) and phones 2 (aux 11/12) and the studio out jacks. The auxes in parenthesis are where you build your phones mixes and it will duplicate on the actual aux 9-12 jacks but with out the talkback on those aux jacks. This is how it has always been and there is no software way to patch it elsewhere that I can think of.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum