Change font size   Print view

Upgrading to 5.1

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Upgrading to 5.1

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:13 am

It was my understanding that although the metering for the comps and gates in V5 was much improved, their algorithms were the same. It was the eq that changed, hence the facility to revert to V3 eq to accommodate previous mixes.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby FrankH » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:30 am

Considering one of my jobs was re-voicing the Dynamics during the development of v5.0, I'd say say your information is flawed. The EQ's changed because of the split-off for keying. Essentially, the EQs sound the same. The Dynamics section most definitely does not.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:45 am

You know Frank, you really do have a turn of phrase that blows my mind. The documentation for V5 makes a big deal of the eq being improved but nothing of the the comps other than to have presented a faster and prettier meter, albeit with the option for led and traditional looking appearance. Whatever. The old forum is so messed up that I can't search it to discover those conversations. I admit that in a visual sense, the meters are more akin to what one hears but if you say it's better then, good heavens above, it must be so.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Crash » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Frank, to me the EQ's sounded the same between the two versions but why is there the option to use V.3 EQ when recalling a V3 mix into V.5? The big difference I noticed with EQ, other than the key features, was that you could morph betwwen EQ types in V5, where this was not possible in V3.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:14 am

The documentation for V5 makes a big deal of the eq being improved

Crash's response:
The big difference I noticed with EQ, other than the key features, was that you could morph betwwen EQ types in V5, where this was not possible in V3.

...is pretty much it. The EQ "improvements" were the increased flexibility. Sonicaly, nothing changed.

The Dynamics weren't given the promo hype because frankly, no one wanted to admit the original Dynamics were little more than crap...which is the main reason I suggest updating to V5 whenever possible.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:11 am

Are you sure you can't morph with v3 I seem to remember doing so!

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:07 am

There was morphing in 3.0. It is less glitchy in 5.0. It is the keying split-off that was the major surgery to the EQ. Another thing that improved was the accuracy of the numerical value for Q. It was determined that the values called out in V3 were not exactly correct. They are in v5. If you switch between v3 and v5 modes, you'll see that the slopes change slightly. Frequency centering and gain remain unchanged. Any frequency curve that existed in V3 can be matched in V5...in other words: if you match the curve in V5 there will be no difference sonically.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:08 pm

Phil.c wrote:Are you sure you can't morph with v3 I seem to remember doing so!

Phil

You could morph but as I recall it had to be between the same type, like british to british but not british to four band.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum