Change font size   Print view

Hi to everyone I'm new to the forum.

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Hi to everyone I'm new to the forum.

Postby Rickytee » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:41 pm

:P Hi to everyone here , I've just joined the forum today. Thats after aquiring 2 D8B's both with v.5.0. Ever since these mixers came out I've always wanted them even now an elegant design. For me they did and still do represent the best balance of I/O options and Daw integration for the money I kicked out a Yammy 02R to get these lovelys in .One is in quite good nick but the other has had some serious use with a couple of sticky faders. I'd appreciate any advice on some basic checks or upgrades I can make to get the most out of them.
Any advice about upgrading the PSU and CPU fans would also be welcome.
Many thanks in advance.. :D
Rickytee

Re: Hi to everyone I'm new to the forum.

Postby High C Double G » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Rickytee,

Got to be up in a few hours so I will be brief... difficult for me :P

Welcome, this is a great place to be for the d8b. The Owners Manual, the database, and the forum threads are a great place to start to get a feel for how to get your d8b's up and running smooth. There is really so much to it and the d8b is so flexible and variable that there is not just one way to set it up... and therein lie the beauty of this wonderful piece of equipment.

Lots of great info here, in the database, and in the manual; but honestly nothing beats just winging it and getting stuff hooked up and seeing what works and what doesn't work for your set up.

What do you plan to do with your two units? Back over 15 years ago I thought the 02R was the shizzle but comparing the two mixers... (my opinion) you did good to go with the d8b. I have a little trouble with the analog side of the mixer... others do not. For just me, I use it pretty much digital exclusive - but I do use the analog side - very flexible. I would be a fool not to use everything the desk had to offer. And not to say anything bad about the Yami 02 or the d8b analog side, it is just how I utilize its functions. For the most part I use the digital routes and for ease of "what needs to happen" I will route through the analog. Nothing wrong at all with it for some things. If I was to go with an analog mixer it would not be the d8b lets just say.

Probably didn't answer one question but I replaced both the CPU and Power supply fans for good measure, got new ram, secured "new" hard drives and replaced the floppy with a new one (battery too) and a re-format of hard drive, after saving session files of course, and a fresh install of the OS - unlocking all the plugs I have codes for... etc.

If you are going to become proficient at this thing you need to read and do... That is my advice.

Hope this helps,

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rickytee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:00 pm

:D Thanks very much Really appreciate your advice and like you said lots of reading to to.
Rickytee

Postby Axeman098 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Replacing the CPU fan, is a simple Socket 7 Heatsink/fan combo replacement. I used an Ultra Socket 7 aftermarket cooler for mine with a copper heatsink, and it runs flawlessly. Be sure to not use one that is too tall, so as not to hit the top of the case. Check the database for the best way to replace the PSU fan. I haven't done mine yet, but it's on the list. Replacing both will greatly reduce the noise you hear at startup.

Also, run the Fader Calibration Tool from the Mixer tabs. I dont have my D8B in front of me, but it's in the Utility's in there somewhere. I run this at least twice a month to ensure and confirm visually, that all faders are responding and moving correctly...it only takes a few minutes, and will tell you immeadiately which faders youy need to be concerned with....
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum