Change font size   Print view

Whoa.... Help appreciated!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Whoa.... Help appreciated!

Postby synthjoe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 am

Petersueco wrote:Actually you don't have to link the pics to the posts, you just have to upload the image from your computer to the board using the Upload attachment function. It's very easy.

Duh... I looked for it, but I guess just not hard enough. :D Now I see it (I guess my eyes are not calibrated for the the light blue on dark blue style).

So let me share a few miniatures, if you want some full res just let me know!
Picture abusing mega-post starts! :D

IMG_2195a.JPG
To open the case press together the tabs gently
IMG_2195a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1280 times
IMG_2206a.JPG
Main parts of the disassembled fader
IMG_2206a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1280 times
IMG_2209a.JPG
Not too hard to notice the grit on the wipers...
IMG_2209a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1280 times
IMG_2216a.JPG
The slide is actuated by the pull of the belt
IMG_2216a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1280 times
IMG_2227a.JPG
It might be a good idea to lubricate (grease) this part and the back of the belt (lightly) as the belt touches the metal here
IMG_2227a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1280 times
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:41 am

IMG_2232a.JPG
The parts most prone to collect grit (it's actually more like a dense oily mud)
IMG_2232a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1280 times
IMG_2245a.JPG
That's what a clean wiper should look like. Be extra careful when cleaning, because the little 'fingers' are very easily bent and next to impossible to get back into the original shape.
IMG_2245a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1280 times

Let me know if you'd like to see some other shots - I might have it on stock! :)
Don't ask me what oil or grease or solution should be used for the process, as I've only guessed - my guess is as good as anyone else's. I tried to ask for some assistance and ideas from Mackie and Alps, but M did not answer whereas A said it was proprietary stuff that's part of their manufacturing secret.

My only personal advice is that use the least agressive, most neutral products - I have no idea when (and if) the products I have used will damage my faders beyond repair. But it could have not gotten much worse, so I took my chances...
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby rcb4t2 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures Joe - I shudder to think what kind of gunk lies in mine lol. I'm looking into getting a suitable cable for the console data - hopefully that'll clear up my issue. My floppy's should be here on Monday to reinstall the OS. Fingers (and data!) crossed!
rcb4t2

Postby markd56 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 am

This is a really useful post 'synthjoe'. I am sure many people can make use of this information and benefit from your well documented experiences. Thank you.
And in the end.....The love you take.....Is equal to the love.....You make.
markd56

Postby synthjoe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:49 am

Glad if my work can be of some help to others here!
Thanks for the nice words.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 pm

I will put this into the database as soon as I get some free time. I'm just too busy these days.

Thanks for taking your time to post the pictures, syntjoe, very much appreciated.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby synthjoe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Petersueco wrote:I will put this into the database as soon as I get some free time. I'm just too busy these days.

Thanks for taking your time to post the pictures, syntjoe, very much appreciated.

Peter Holmquist.

Not at all, my pleasure! If you intend to put stuff on the database you might want me to send you via FTP or filesharing the full set of 70-80 pictures at a far better resolution (about 70 MB) so that you can pick the ones that best fit your purpose. These were just a few samples - maybe not the best ones... Just let me know!
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Soundchasm » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:16 am

Hello Joe,

I read through the thread twice, and this question may prove I'm an idiot, but...

Did cleaning the faders resolve the sticking? I'm always afraid of thinking somebody finally found the magic bullet for those things. If I stop to think about it, I believe I had a few sticky ones within a few years of the purchase "new". Not that the goo/fuzz can't help, but did Mackie store these in a cornfield during detasseling season? I'd hate to imagine that a small amount of lint could put a fader out of commission, or make it unreliable.

I won't have an opportunity to clean mine for some time. My plan is to make the fader effort when Marc releases his project.

You might also be able to get some relief from fighting faders by switching the fader motors off and back on. Keep us posted. We're interested.
Thanks,
Greg
Soundchasm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Soundchasm wrote:Did cleaning the faders resolve the sticking?

It did help in my case. However, regular use is also a good conditioner, there were some other 'stickies' that I did not clean, because after a good workout and 2-3 calibration passes they seemed to be fine. However, if I don't use the desk for a few days, they stick a little again, something the 'reconditioned' faders don't do.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Soundchasm » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:01 pm

If it's been two weeks and several reboots, then the reconditioning looks very promising.

I've cut a piece from a thin plastic drop cloth to keep my unit covered when it's not being used. I guess I have to be honest about the amount of dust in my basement. Everything has a thick coating in fairly short order.

One other head's up. If the musicians using the headphone send ask if you're being attacked by bees when you use talkback, one of your faders is stuck!
Soundchasm
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum