Change font size   Print view

new place

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

new place

Postby garrett21allen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:02 am

Hi peter

I was just wondering if you ever got your new place sounding like you wanted it to. I think you stated you was having a bass problem
I think you did a good job with everything its one of the best looking rooms I have seen on this forum. I would like to do the samthing here
but I just cant find the time or money. so I will just keep dreaming of having a room like that. a dream is better than nothing. I also think you done a grate
job with this forum too. and I am happy to be here because with out people like you and the other forum members I would be lost with my d8b/hdr even after all these years
I would still be lost. you and the other forum members are just like family to me and if I can ever do anything for you or anyone els'e I will do my best to do so.
thanks for all your hard work and your time.

joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: new place

Postby Petersueco » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi Joe.

Thanks for your nice words!

The room sounds very good. It's true that I have a 6 dB 80 hz peak in it but I can live with that for the moment. I'm planing to rise the sub-woofer to avoid part of it. Someone told me to EQ it out but I'm not sure if that will bring on other problems.

My main concern is in the vocal boot. It sound to boxy and boomy. I have been lurking around on audio forums and I have come to the conclusion that placing some bass traps in the corners and making the ceiling more absorbent should do it. It is supposed to be used for vocal and instrument recording. There is not space for a drum set.

I'm very happy about the room and if you want to do the same, try this two links and start reading.

Acoustics101
Auralex

Almost all the techniques that are described in the Acoustics101 site is what I have made.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crash » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:32 am

Might I also suggest this site...it has moving pictures. Ethan is the shiznit with this stuff. I ended rolling my own but watching the vids and hearing the differences was eye opening.

http://www.realtraps.com/videos.htm
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks Crash. That is the kind of bass traps a was thinking about.

Was it difficult to DIY?

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crash » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:20 pm

No not at all. I got frames here:

http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php ... stic-frame

I sourced all of my other materials locally and knocked them out fairly quickly and easily. If I had to make the frames, it would have been much longer but if you are handy with tools that may not pose an issue for you.

These are the first 5 I knocked out with a total of 11 done for my mix room:

Unfortunately, I don't have pic of them mounted on the wall but you get the idea of what you can do.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:49 pm

Are those filled up with rockwool or similar, or is there any other wood structures inside?

They look nice BTW.

Peter Holmquist,
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crash » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:15 pm

Owens 703 rigid fiberglass with FSK (the silver facing on all but three of them) in there, no other structure. The frames just screw together in the corners and you are good to go. I used a single 10inch or inch in diameter sono-tube that I cut into 4 inch spacers to get the proper distance off the wall. Frames came with hanging chains and all that jazz. I think they were just under $40.00 (US) per, which for me is worth the price of admission and I got to keep all my fingers.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Thanks for the info, Crash.

The room is quite small so I expect two or three panels should be sufficient.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crash » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:02 pm

Glad to help.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby fishtail » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 am

Hey Peter,
Thought I would check out this new site, and also to congradulate you on your new digs. I love the online diary, and while I was traveling I managed to check in and see the progress from time to time. Brought back so many memories and impatient moments from my own build. The hardest part is being patient because some things take a long time to get right.
Crash has great advice. When I launched my live room, (which is about 5.5mx 5.5m having a 4.5m ceiling pitched at 35degrees, adobe walls and polished concrete floor), I found that I had a problem at 250hz. I studied what Ethan had to say, and looked at his Traps. He was very helpful even though he knew I was not buying his products. I built 14 traps, 9 of them hanging on the ceiling. I had drop sheets all over the floor when I was installing them to protect the floor, and when I put up the last one the room went dead, and I thought, "oh no, Ive killed the room!". Soon as I took the sheets away the room bounced back to life. The problem is now gone and the room sounds incredible. I don't know how to post photos, but if you let me know how I can send you some.
The control room was a different kettle of fish. I spent four months building that, it is a room based on Tom Hidleys "Live end, dead end" room. Tom Misner had the plans of a studio that worked really well similar to the size I wanted so I studied those carefully and implemented all the design features. I am glad I took the time to study and implement this design, as it is a great room to mix in.
Your builder, was it Pedro???, did such a great job on everything, he could advise you or make them up for you off site and intall them in a few minutes. The sealing of them is the very important as I am sure you already know.
Thanks for setting up this site and keeping this wonderful community of people together. I never really get the chance to help people because there are so many talented people here who chime in long before I do, but I still like to follow the successes of everyone of them.
Marco
fishtail
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum