Change font size   Print view

D8B Power supply replaced now no Mouse?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B Power supply replaced now no Mouse?

Postby glenn taylor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:14 am

Hi there I am a newbee ,but have had a D8B for 14 years. Finally the power supply died 3 days ago. Mackie techs had me change the 3v battery. I have the 300 new motherboard that you have to plug a 4pin conector to the back side of the motherboard for the ps2 mouse. Tried a new mouse. Reset bios settings mouse is frozen?
Any thoughts? Glenn. :mrgreen:
glenn taylor

Re: D8B Power supply replaced now no Mouse?

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:52 am

this might seem weird but is it a roller ball or a infered mouse. I've had problems with the infered mouses lossing connectivity both during a session or not working on boot up. My trusty roller ball mouse works great(knock on wood). You might try switching it out if this is the case. But yeah that's all I got.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi Glenn

If your keyboard is working I would double check the BIOS settings for the 300 MHz board. They can be found here http://www.mackie.com/support/documents/D8B300MHzBiosSettings.pdf These are the settings for the newer 300MHz Mobo of course. What else?... it is possible that the 5-pin DIN adapter has gone south... Although not confirmed by myself I believe this is the pin out --- see "5-pin DIN connector" on this page... http://www.zytrax.com/tech/pc/din.htm... Trying to think of what I know about this... I have a newer 300 MHz CPU that is likely to go up on E-bay/Craigslist/Trading thread shortly because I bought it as a backup and I haven't had any problems at all. (and I need the money for another cool reverb box, or food… whatever) I bought this CPU at the time of the DXB Motherboard fiasco if you remember that, so I wanted to have a spare at the ready. Also I had heard, like you recently learned, that the power supply units can fail and they are difficult to obtain. Well, Because of this, I was able to purchase a back-up for my d8b set up. I am finding that I really don't need it and it has the upgrades and everything. This and because I have seriously downsized my work space and simply do not have the amount of space I use to have so I need to simplify the little rented space that I do have and make the best of it. I could go on and rant about how awful it is and how cramped I feel and ...and ... and ... but I choose to remain grateful for what I do have and that is a lot. Do I miss my old studio? Yep I do - it's still sitting there empty being used to store the summer chairs. How about that? A $20,000 room does make for a great sounding isolated “storage” room... don't get me started - oh... I already have? damn! :lol: Whatever... my point is this, this CPU every so often and it is quite rare that it happens, --- btw. I have heard this from other users too--- , but every so often the mouse input jack acts up and needs to be fiddled with. When it gets to the sweet spot it works. I really do not know what it is, a open receptacle that doesn't make good contact, a connection where it meets the motherboard, the adapter... ??? I really have not figured it out. But like I say very random and not hardly ever at all, but it does happen. I get keyboard but no mouse. The arrow just sits there in the middle and does nothing at all. I have sprayed contact cleaner in there. Trying to think of what else, make sure that “load last session at startup” is NOT checked… firmly reconnect the Big connector at the back of the mixing console. Wow, this is a long one… it could be any number of things – For the record, when my d8b doesn’t boot up at 100%, albeit a rare occurrence, it really is a drag. :(

Hope this helps,
Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby glenn taylor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Michael I just moved out of a 1958 2 story stone house . Lots of wood floors great vibe my wife and I bought when we moved from Ca to FL to be close to family. Great place. Too bad it's in this town. Lack of good clients. I lease this and the next door buildings out for income. Moved the studio to a custom12x25 shed behind house by my pool now. I love music not the business. Cut my price down and only work with who I like. The Rent income makes this possible.
My mouse plugs into the motherboard behind the fan. Green lead towards the front of the unit. The extra pin on the motherboard is also towards the front. Hope this is right. The tech said so. They also told me my motherboard was bad when it was the power supply. I will recheck the bios. Thanks Glenn.
glenn taylor

Postby glenn taylor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Ok I fixed it . The mouse female cable that goes to the motherboard has 6 holes in it. The new pm 9800 motherboard has 7 pins. The pins run from front to back located at the back right of the motherboard. Behind the right side of the fan motor. This looking from front to back. I plugged the 6 pin female into the back 6pins. Leaving the pin towards the front open. Today I moved the jumper forward 1 pin to fill pins 2,3,4,5,6,7 on the motherboard. The mackie tech said to leave the pin towards the front open. Looking at the 6 hole female adapter there are only 4 wires going to the mouse and the hole that goes to the pin towards the front is blank. I know it's confusing. Just plug the jumper with the green wire towards the front and skip the 1st pin at the rear of the power supply. GT
glenn taylor

Postby Saxdaddy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:47 am

Anybody know the pin order and wire colors for each socket of the plug. Lost mine! Please don't ask, I'm frustrated beyond words. I know the 2nd socket gets the green wire and the first and 3rd sockets are empty. I believe the next 3 sockets,4,5,6 each get a wire, but I don't know which colors go where. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Or if somebody can lead me to a scheme for the 4 wire PS2 mouse, I can maybe sort it out from there. Thanks you.
Saxdaddy

Postby synthjoe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:10 pm

synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum