Change font size   Print view

HDR not booting

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

HDR not booting

Postby farmstudio » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:46 am

Sorry for posting here at D8b, but back in the Mackie forum days, many of you also had HDR's.

Please go to the HDR forum here and look at my post: HDR not booting

It is acting like the power surge switch in the Power Supply trips everytime push ON button. (see post)
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce/Farmstudio
farmstudio

Re: HDR not booting

Postby Crash » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:27 pm

farmstudio wrote:Sorry for posting here at D8b, but back in the Mackie forum days, many of you also had HDR's.

Please go to the HDR forum here and look at my post: HDR not booting

It is acting like the power surge switch in the Power Supply trips everytime push ON button. (see post)
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce/Farmstudio

I would put my money on dead dry caps in the power supply and not uncommon in a piece of gear this old. I had an Apogee converter that exhibited this behavior and it was old bad caps. If you get inside the unit, you can see the caps that are dead a lot of times, they will be slightly pushed up across the top, instead of flat. that's where I would look. If you handy with a soldering iron, it shouldn't be a difficult fix. It could be something else but I have seen this before with gear that just suddenly goes South with power issues.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby farmstudio » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:44 pm

Thanks for your response Scott!

Is the power supply replacement part #FSP200-60MD PSU from Sparkle Power in Hayward?

I'll have to decide, when I find the price, whether this HDR becomes parts or not.

Scott: I have a picture that you posted on the old Mackie forum when a large group of regulars decided to post their pictures so we could all 'see' who was posting. Dan Worley, Bob Singleton, Greg Bell, John Reynolds, Steve Tillman....etc. Kept this in my "Mackie" folder.

Your holding a little child in the photo.

I thought this HDR issue was more of a BIOS thing. thanks again for your response.

Bruce/Farmstudio

ps. I actually AM a farmer, by trade. starwalkerorganicfarms.com
My son has taken over the management. After 50 years!

there's a song in that somewhere......
farmstudio

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:45 pm

What I was suggesting on the HDR forum wasn't just shooting the sh*t, btw.

If you had a working HDR and you'd pull out the video card or the memory and try to turn it on, it will behave exactly as you describe. Same if there's a short, etc.
So, "after" you're done replacing the caps in the power supply and if it still doesn't boot up after, it might be worth trying to reseat the memory and video card, after all... unless you're holding out for the "no effort" miracle solution?

(Edit: Coming to think of it, pulling the video card out would NOT cause this, since the MDR boots without a video card installed. But "most" other PC boards with a soft power-off option won't boot if there's no video card installed... but it makes sense that Mackie deliberately chose a board that still boots, regardless. Still... I'd re-seat the memory at least... that one definitely causes the behavior you describe).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:40 pm

farmstudio wrote:Thanks for your response Scott!

Is the power supply replacement part #FSP200-60MD PSU from Sparkle Power in Hayward?

I'll have to decide, when I find the price, whether this HDR becomes parts or not.

Scott: I have a picture that you posted on the old Mackie forum when a large group of regulars decided to post their pictures so we could all 'see' who was posting. Dan Worley, Bob Singleton, Greg Bell, John Reynolds, Steve Tillman....etc. Kept this in my "Mackie" folder.

Your holding a little child in the photo.

I thought this HDR issue was more of a BIOS thing. thanks again for your response.

Bruce/Farmstudio

ps. I actually AM a farmer, by trade. starwalkerorganicfarms.com
My son has taken over the management. After 50 years!

there's a song in that somewhere......

It could be a BIOS thing but I thought, from your other thread, that you reset all of that. That's why I went down the bad cap path. It's just another possibility.

I wonder what pic I posted that you have. I have 2 boys, I'm guessing it is a pic of my oldest. He is a junior at Texas A&M and the other is a junior in high school. The years are flying by at this point.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:43 pm

Y-my-R wrote:What I was suggesting on the HDR forum wasn't just shooting the sh*t, btw.

If you had a working HDR and you'd pull out the video card or the memory and try to turn it on, it will behave exactly as you describe. Same if there's a short, etc.
So, "after" you're done replacing the caps in the power supply and if it still doesn't boot up after, it might be worth trying to reseat the memory and video card, after all... unless you're holding out for the "no effort" miracle solution?

(Edit: Coming to think of it, pulling the video card out would NOT cause this, since the MDR boots without a video card installed. But "most" other PC boards with a soft power-off option won't boot if there's no video card installed... but it makes sense that Mackie deliberately chose a board that still boots, regardless. Still... I'd re-seat the memory at least... that one definitely causes the behavior you describe).

I was by no means trying to discount your solutions, just throwing out another possibility. Caps are known to go tits up in 30 year old gear, especially when they have not powered up for some time. It's been so long since I fired up an HDR and lived in that world, I have forgotten all the different ways this thing can ruin your day.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby farmstudio » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:56 am

As I posted prior, I had pulled the battery overnight, as per Mike River’s book advice to clear the CMOS, but the same result, 2-3 seconds OFF.

After posting here and the D8b forum, I was beginning to feel the advice of caps in the Power Supply may be the culprit, and I was then researching the correct part number for replacement.

However, as an afterthought, I again followed Mike River’s advice book, and moved the Jumper next to the battery to pins 2-3, waited awhile, then moved the jumper back to pins 1-2. Put power cord back in, pushed ON button and NOTHING! No lights, no sound, no fan….nothing. Did the power cord pull again, and NO, no power, nothing!

As my username says, “Farmstudio” I really AM a farmer by trade 50 years, music studio on the side. Got some warm spring weather this past week and needed to be on the tractor for a bit.

Storm rolled yesterday, so I got back to addressing this HDR, so sorry for not replying & thanking those who responded.

I had a weird thought, that maybe I had not put the jumper back on correctly, or had bent a pin. Opening the case and looking, the jumper looked ok. So I pulled the jumper again, all pins good, then again put it on 2nd pins, then back to 1-2 pins. AND…..

The HDR booted!

I did the delete key, corrected a few odd CMOS settings, it re-booted, all the lights, fan, clicks, and normal noises, & screen ok. Opened a few projects, played them, all seemed normal!

So….I guess the ‘gremlins’ had visited me.

As per the advice from the D8b column, I’m going to leave the power cord in the HDR when it is not in use for maybe a PSU maintenance suggestion.

Thank you again for your help on this issue.

Bruce/ Farmstudio
farmstudio

Postby Crash » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:27 pm

Love a simple fix.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum