Change font size   Print view

Picture of top panel

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Picture of top panel

Postby BorisM » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:32 pm

Hi everybody
On my d8b, the top panel was badly worn out, and therefore, I want to print the sticker. Maybe someone has a picture of the top panel with all the symbols?
BorisM

Re: Picture of top panel

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:24 pm

You posted in the ProBox section, that you only use your D8B with the ProBox, and asked what circuit boards can be removed for weight relief (do you transport it that often?).

Are you aware that most of the buttons on the D8B do something different than how they're labeled from the factory, when using the D8B as a MIDI controller only, via the ProBox?

Some of the buttons even have a different function when used with the ProBox, depending on the DAW software you're using (they implement the Mackie Control Universal or HUI protocols differently).

This makes me wonder if a picture of the top panel of the D8B would actually help you for your purposes...?

I had posted a picture of a D8B with button labels for ProBox use with Logic Pro. This can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2391

If you are using a different DAW, take a look at the documentation for the ProBox. It has tables that show which button on the D8B does what in ProBox mode, for several DAWs. Take a look, here:

http://probox.weritz.com/index.php?dir=documentation%2F

As for the weight relief idea... I don't think there are a lot of boards that can be removed, and I'm not sure if anybody else seriously looked into it (the effort/benefit ratio doesn't seem to make this worth it). But you can try for yourself. You don't usually cause any damage if you disconnect a ribbon cable from a board inside the D8B. So, I'd just turn the D8B off, then disconnect ONE of the ribbon cables at a time for a board you think is likely not needed, then turn it on and try if all the ProBox functions still work (e.g. the jack field in the back might not be needed... or anything else that is an "end point" that only relevant for audio operation, and not a board the control data needs to travel "through" to make it work with the ProBox).
If it still works, leave the cable disconnected, shut the D8B down, and disconnect the next cable you think is likely not needed. Rinse, repeat.
However, I think you'll find that MOST of the time when removing a cable, the ProBox won't work right anymore, either. So, it might be a waste of time.

Personally, unless you frequently have to carry the D8B around with you on a train or something, the few grams (that's all the weight relief you're gonna get in the end) you will be able to remove in weight when removing two or three boards, isn't even worth trying to figure this out, IMO.

Anyway, best of luck.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Picture of top panel

Postby BorisM » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:15 pm

Thank you!
If there is an image of the top panel, I would just edit some designations that do not match the commands of my DAW. I plan to print a vinyl sticker and cut out all the holes for buttons and screws on the plotter in it (accurate information about their location would again greatly simplify my work). I understand that my questions look strange, but as soon as I finish transforming my d8b, I will send a photo of it here and maybe if you are an aesthete like me, you will understand why I started all this))
By trial and error, I have already guessed some of the commands of my daw, but maybe there is the same button map as you threw off, only for reaper?

You have convinced me, I will not pick at the console because of a few grams and I hope my table will withstand it)
BorisM

Return to d8b Forum