Change font size   Print view

card cage issues solved

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

card cage issues solved

Postby magicbuss » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:39 am

I want to share my discovery...
Was waking up an old console and attempted to update memory. Don't know what went wrong but the console did not like it. What happened was it refused to acknowledge any cards in the card cage I/O and EFX. Tried rebooting, reset bios, nothing worked thought it was toast. Then I decided to pull all the cards out of the console and boot up while empty. Shockingly it booted up even without a clock card. put all the cards back in and it boots up acknowledging all the card and all works well. Who knew!
magicbuss

Re: card cage issues solved

Postby csp » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:36 am

Thank you for that information and I will give it a try with a console that I have been working on since about May last year with no signal from any input and a clock system that is doing very strange things.

Just one question, when booted without the clock card, exactly what did you get. For example, if you set some fader levels on Bank 1 and then seleted Bank 2 and set some levels and then re selected Bank 1 did the faders move to the Bank 1 settings.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby magicbuss » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:21 am

Hey David,
I did not pay close attention to how the faders respond but the entire first layer worked including the EQs, gates, compressors, etc. which I did not expect.
Good luck,
Lloyd
magicbuss

Postby csp » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:02 am

Lloyd,

Thanks for that info and I will give it a bash over the next few days.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby magicbuss » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:15 pm

Hey David,
You got me curious, so I went back and tried again without any cards and yes, faders follow banks. It seems everything works but those card functions. I might want to add this is on the older 3.0 operating system.
magicbuss

Postby Crash » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:46 pm

It will work in the manner you describe with no cards in it, no matter which OS version. It just won't pass any audio without a clock card.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:42 am

Lloyd,

Tried your suggestion yesterday and as you and Crash stated the faders worked correctly, BUT on re installing everything and re-booting I still have the same no audio problem --- irrespectiove of the Bank.

Also still have the problem where when booted the clock set-up shows "Internal" and locked, but when the HD24 recorder is turned on it shows it as not being synced to the desk, but if I then change the desk's Internal" setting to Word clock (there is no external clock connected) so that it shows "clock error" (or whatever !!!) and then change back to "Internal" the HD24 shows that it has synced to the desk. I really have no idea why this is happening, but really makes me think that somewhere/somehow there is a problem with the clock system !!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby magicbuss » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:32 pm

I think you might be correct. The clock card might not work on internal but it may work receiving clock from an outside source. I know the HD24 doesn't have a clock out but if you have access to any other device that can generate word clock I would try it. I've been using an external clock on all my rigs and no problems so far. Fingers crossed!
magicbuss

Return to d8b Forum