Change font size   Print view

An early photo

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

An early photo

Postby FrankH » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:30 am

This photo, courtesy Greg Mackie, was taken in Jan.1997 in a hotel room close to the NAMM convention center in Anaheim. That's Peter Watts on the left, the late great Bob Tudor center and me on the right. There were lots of problems with the prototype that needed last minute fixing before the board was wheeled across the street to the convention hall. This included a failed attempt to rip apart the hotel room's TV for parts that we left back in Woodinville. Eventually, Greg ripped open the room's clock radio for the win. Greg's snapped this pic.
[attachment=0]
Attachments
Peter-Bob-Frank.jpg
Peter-Bob-Frank.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1107 times
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: An early photo

Postby csp » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:46 am

Great photo and the back of that desk looks almost like the current state of donated desk that I have been trying to get working for about the past 8/9 months !!!!!!!

That really must have been an exciting time knowing that you were about to show a desk that would virtually revolutionise the recording industry !!!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:03 am

I spotted the real problem straight away...how could they have missed it, the fifth yellow wire from the left is plugged into the wrong terminal :lol:
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:52 pm

WOW...impressive last minute debugging chops !
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:30 pm

FrankH wrote:This photo, courtesy Greg Mackie, was taken in Jan.1997 in a hotel room close to the NAMM convention center in Anaheim. That's Peter Watts on the left, the late great Bob Tudor center and me on the right. There were lots of problems with the prototype that needed last minute fixing before the board was wheeled across the street to the convention hall. This included a failed attempt to rip apart the hotel room's TV for parts that we left back in Woodinville. Eventually, Greg ripped open the room's clock radio for the win. Greg's snapped this pic.
[attachment=0]

I remember this story. Ah, the good old days from Wood-Red road.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:07 am

Hahaha, that's a crazy story - and a really fun photo :)

Did this prototype still have the PC hardware inside the console, that moved to the rack unit, in the release version? Looks like lots more cables in there, and boards I don't recognize, and one area looks like a PC mainboard's memory bank with an Intel chip besides it.

I had heard a story before, that the original plan was to have the PC hardware inside the console, but that it got too hot in there. Is this what this is? (And did it fail before the show, because it got too hot?)

Anyway - thanks for sharing! :D
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:51 pm

Y-my-R wrote:
Did this prototype still have the PC hardware inside the console, that moved to the rack unit, in the release version?

And did it fail before the show, because it got too hot?

Yep, this was the only existing proto and they did build the PC and power suppllies into it. There was even a floppy disk drive built slated to be built into the armrest.

Heat might've been a factor, but there were slew of hardware and software problems preventing a reasonably working demo for the show from happening. We landed at the hotel 2 days before the show and it was pretty much a no sleep 48 hour slog to get the thing passing audio and running an automated demo without crashing. If it wasn't for Bob Tudor running the demo by circumventing all the "gotchas", it would've been a disaster.

You have to understand that this proto unit was built from the ground up 7 weeks prior to the show.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:39 pm

FrankH wrote:There was even a floppy disk drive built slated to be built into the armrest.

I have one of those armrests on my d8b. I can't remember who gave it to me at the mothership... maybe Anita Hurling. Too many years gone by at this point.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:29 am

Crash wrote:I have one of those armrests on my d8b. I can't remember who gave it to me at the mothership... maybe Anita Hurling. Too many years gone by at this point.

I have one of the first separate power supply/PC pre production rigs (still with the floppy drive armrest) in my garage. Mackie sent it out to NY for me to record the demos for the show on a pair of TASCAM D88's.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum