Change font size   Print view

Word Clock Issue

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Word Clock Issue

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi All;

I have a funny thing happening with my d8b and wordclock. I did look through the Database and did not find any referance to the issue I am having.

There are 2 setups, 1 with an external word clock generator, and one using the HDR as the clock master.

In either case, the d8b appears to to locked (no flashing ??). My HDR, when playing, show audio in the tape return inputs of the d8b, but no audio arrives at the L&R. If I switch the d8b to Internal, the Audio appears on L&R.

Same scenario for the word clock generator. The d8b appears to be locked, but no audio, and again, when I wsitched to internal on the d8b, the audio appears on L&R.

This has just started. The day before this happen I was losing sync momentarily, audio would disapear, but came back. The flashing ?? marks appeared then disapeared, as they should. The the next day when I turned things on get started, I had the afforementioned problem.

My go to, is to clean ribbon connectors but as we all know this is a huge job. One I am willing to do but thought I would seek some guidence from you folks!

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Word Clock Issue

Postby Phil.c » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:50 pm

Sounds like your using the d8b as master, when you switch to external, you’re using the HDR as master but only if it's set to do this.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:39 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

When using the Wordclock generator as the Master, the d8b and HDR are set to external Wordclockl.

When using the HDR as the Master it is set to internal, and the d8b is set to external Wordclock.

When using the d8b as the Master it is set to internal and the HDR is set to external Wordclock.

I should have spelled that out in my post.

Thanks Phil.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:08 am

My immediate gut-feeling was also that it's time to clean the ribbon cables/connectors again, but I wouldn't know which could cause this particular issue.

Another thing that I think could potentially cause this, are issues with the Apogee Clock card itself, though.
I had posted a little while back, that I found that THREE separate Apogee Clock cards of mine, had the same component on it either falling off completely, or have a solder spot separating.

I'd imagine that there's some "internal clock" and some "external clock" pathways on that card (e.g. what connects to the BNCs, vs what gets it's clock from the "oven" where the crystal generates the clock), so, a component failure (or "fall-off") could be responsible for something like this, too.

Anyway, I'd recommend to carefully compare the pictures of Apogee Clock cards from this thread, to your clock card... especially if that one component is there and soldered on well, that I marked as having fallen off or gotten a bad contact on mine:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2583

But definitely also look for any other visual damages like burn marks, or leaky capacitors or something.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:16 am

Thanks Y-my-R;
I did swap for another Apogee card with the same results. I'll have a gander at all the cards, like you I have 3, and see what I see.
I may have to do some ribbon connector cleaning "O boy"!

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum