Change font size   Print view

WTF? Any ideas?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

WTF? Any ideas?

Postby suaspont » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:55 am

My beloved d8b was working fine and powered on. Then it suddenly was unable to pass any sound through analog inputs. It was as though the board was deaf. The GUI seemed to be working, as it responded to mouse movements.

So I rebooted the device. The GUI came up fine and the unit moved the faders to where they had been. But, still, no sound was passing and the meter bridge had many of channels indicating a high level. (As though most o the inputs were set at a high volume).

Any ideas as to what might be wrong? I have a couple of parts d9b's that are fully functional, so I do have parts available. I'd rather not just wholesale swap out the entire desk, but I could do that if necessary.

Thanks in advance.
suaspont

Re: WTF? Any ideas?

Postby captainamerica » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:41 pm

I would check all the connectors/cables inside, clean etc.

Then check the database for maintenance or other tips. This Forum is a great place for additional questions

https://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html

Section on sound issues are here:

The d8b likes to be booted before any other digital or wordclock devices are booted. If this rule is not adhered to, the d8b can exhibit some strange behavior such as no sound at all, meters stuck, digital inputs not recognized, FX cards or plug-ins not recognized or loadable and a whole host of other oddities.

The rule then is:

Boot the d8b first and when it has finally completed its startup, turn on the rest of your gear.

If you use an external wordclock device or you are clocking the d8b from say, an HDR, wait until you see the flashing ?/* on the right hand side of the fluoro display (on the desk) before turning the other devices on.
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:57 pm

My personal opinion is before you do anything else, remove the AC cable from the rear of the cpu host and walk away for 5-10 minutes... when you return, reinsert the AC cable back into the cpu host and boot it up... and wait for the gui to dsiplay. If you get that far and still experience the same issues, then proceed on to captainamerica's post...

Of course :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby suaspont » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:23 am

i reseated the Apogee clock card and several ribbon cables inside the d8b desk, including paying careful attention to the area around the BFC. All is well now and the device has been running nonstop for 3 days with no errors. All is good.

Thanks for the prompt suggestions. I would have been scratching my head for days, checking voltages, etc.

Bruce
suaspont

Postby csp » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:10 pm

Bruce,

Glad you were able to solve the problem.

I have had basically the same situation with a donated desk, but after numerous ribbon cable cleans, it is still playing up, the latest the same as yours --- no audio , but faders controlling the GUI.

Will be flipping the desk again in the next day or so and will basically strip it to get to every cable connection.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:26 pm

csp wrote:Bruce,

Glad you were able to solve the problem.

I have had basically the same situation with a donated desk, but after numerous ribbon cable cleans, it is still playing up, the latest the same as yours --- no audio , but faders controlling the GUI.

Will be flipping the desk again in the next day or so and will basically strip it to get to every cable connection.

David

No doubt David, you will have some sandwiches and a flask of tea at hand....or maybe a flask of something a bit stronger :D :D :D

Don’t forget the power connectors as sometimes they become loose and need tightening up!
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:42 pm

Phil,

Yes to both AND I don't even drink !!!!!!!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:15 pm

You might change your minded after a total strip down :lol:

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:07 am

Phil,

Almost have to agree, just spent almost 4hrs re cleaning all tyhe cfonnectoirs I could get to and then basically trying to remove the card cage and trying to replace the last screw to put it back together again, BUT still did not get it out, as you obviously have to remove the Brain Board chasis first and I really could not be bothered doing that, just to get to a couple of cables that are going to the meter bridge, which I think is working !!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby suaspont » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:45 pm

Changing the VFD is a real adventure... Cleaning the ribbon cable connectors is less so. :D
suaspont

Next

Return to d8b Forum