Change font size   Print view

D8B Help Needed

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B Help Needed

Postby flipflop » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:05 pm

Hello everyone...
I have recently ran into a MAJOR problem and was hoping that you guys can help source an answer to fix my D8B.
Six months ago my D8B started the all famous "DSP control card not ready" so I took it to a certified Mackie technician in hopes that he could resolve the problem. It came back worse than it was when I brought it there, (4 months later).
He told me it was a power supply problem and I needed to source a new one.
So far I cannot find anything that will work and I can't really verify his findings. Is there someone out there that can point me in the right direction to solve this or a way to troubleshoot the CPU?
I really like the board and I'm hoping to get it working again rather than making it my new boat anchor...
Please help..
Phil
flipflop

Re: D8B Help Needed

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:23 pm

Hi Phil,

This isn't necessarily where the problem comes from in your case, but the easiest way how the "DSP control card not ready" error could happen, is if the "Console Data" cable isn't connected or has a problem. That's the DB25 "sub-D" cable, going between the console and the rack unit.

Did the cable you use for this work before? Do you have a spare for it, by any chance, that you could try?

Wrong settings in the BIOS can also cause this. It could simply be something where no IRQs or the wrong IRQs are assigned for the serial/COM ports in the BIOS.
Make sure to double-check and update the BIOS settings per the information in the Database (and depending on if you have the old or the new mainboard).

When the console started giving you the "DSP control card not ready" error - did your D8B no longer work from that point on, or was it intermittent?

I'd just try to re-seat both, the BFC cable and the Console Data cable for starters (while the D8B is turned off), and see if this makes any difference (maybe clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol or Deoxit, while you're at it).

When you say "it got worse" when coming back from the technician - in what way? What's different now? Different errors? More frequent? Or does it simply not boot up fully, like it was before, with the same error?

Let's start with this, and a more complete description of the issue (DSP card issue ALWAYS happens and the console NEVER boots anymore, or intermittent? What's worse after the service, etc.).
Depending on your response, this might go in a slightly different direction, with the next troubleshooting steps.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby flipflop » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:38 pm

WOW... I wasn't expecting an answer so fast. I am so grateful for these helpful hints that might bring life back to my D8B.

To answer your question - I do not have a spare cable so I'll do what you said and reseat the CPU end unless you think it should be both ends. (Not too sure if I want to open the console.)

I wanted to also let you know that I was successful in installing a ssd for my hard drive and it was stable for a year until intermittently running the error.

Do you know an easy way to flash the bios or should should it all be done by hand?

In any case, I will check the bios, the cable, and do some cleaning and I'll let you know the results.

Many thanks for your info,

Fingers crossed, Phil.
flipflop

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:35 pm

If the "DSP card not ready" error happened intermittently and got worse over time, then you probably have an issue with something making intermittent contact, somewhere.

If you're lucky, then re-seating the cable(s) as mentioned in my last post might be enough (I'd really clean the contacts with electronics cleaner or isopropyl alcohol while you're at it, though). Probably best to do that on both ends, though.

Trying a different cable would also be worthwhile, if you can find one easily.

Since you say the problem was intermittent, if reseating the stuff "outside" the rack unit and console doesn't work, it's probably time to open the console and re-seat all of the ribbon cables, and clean them while you're at it (and Phil C. on here always recommends to lift off the plastic parts where the connectors on the ribbon cable pierce through the cable itself (but don't remove it... just so there's enough of a gap), then put some alcohol in there, and then clamp the connectors back together... and I agree... if you already have the console open, this would be a good idea to do).

As far as the BIOS goes, I'm not suggesting to flash the bios at all. Just open the BIOS (depending on the mainboard, you repeatedly hit the delete key, or the F1 key on your keyboard right after you power on, to get into the BIOS), and then manually change the settings to what it says in the database is right for your mainboard model. This is ALWAYS a manual process, and even if you'd flash the BIOS with an updated version or something, you'd STILL have to set the settings where they'd need to be.
Flashing the BIOS is like replacing it completely. I'm just suggesting to double-check the settings and change them if they're not right.

If the desk intermittently worked, and every now and then gave the DSP card error in the past, it's unlikely that it's the BIOS settings, though. It never hurts to check, though, as this is comparatively VERY simple to do, but can have serious implications if something's not right.

Anyway... just thought I'd respond so you don't try to flash the BIOS. That could brick the mainboard if making a mistake. Everything I said in my last post still applies and I'd still start with re-seating the cable(s) on the outside of the console and rack unit first.
If that doesn't work, I'd open the console and reseat/clean all the ribbon cables.

It's a very common thing people have to do with their D8Bs every so many years. I had to do it to each of the ones I bought (used) as well, before I could really use them as intended and without strange and mysterious issues happening all the time. It might just be time to do that for yours. For the D8B, that's kinda "standard maintenance" ;)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby flipflop » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:03 pm

Top of the day to you..

Well Y-my R, I did what you said and found some interesting results.

First- I rechecked the Bios and made no adjustments as it was spot on.

Second - I cleaned and reseated all the power cables inside the CPU as well as the ribbons.

Third - I opened the console and cleaned and reseated all the power cables and ribbons (including the three rack cards at the back).

Forth - (Bonus) I measured the voltage on the J1 board as per page 111-1 from the service manual.
Results being...
46.3 v one pin over from 21
12.4 v at pin 24
16.1 v at pin 16
14.3 v at pin 5
5.2 v at pins 15, 9, and 4
I got 12.4 v on cap C1
16.2 v on C3
14.2 v on C4
and 5.3 v on C5

I think this indicates that the BFC cable is functional and the power from the CPU is there.

Yet, the DSP problem is still there. Also, I noticed that the lights are on and flashing on the console circuit boards.

You have been very helpful thus far, do you have any other steps that I can perform to narrow the problem further?

Can't thank you enough...

Phil
flipflop

Postby Phil.c » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:27 am

As I have said many times, just reseating the ribbon connectors is not good enough as oxidisation can occur on the connector spikes and has proved to be the problem many times, you need to eliminate this before moving on, so...take a connector off, run your thumb nail or something like a guitar pick between the join and the ribbon both sides, this lifts the ribbon off the spikes, drop in some ISP or similar to clean the connection, then clamp back tightly with a pliers.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TySTUDIO » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:47 pm

Hello,

I had the same issue with one of my boards as well. I tried virtually everything that was suggested to no avail. I finally bought a third "just for parts" board and swapped out the DSP card and it has worked perfect since (5 years).

Kevin
TySTUDIO

Postby flipflop » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:55 am

Success!!!

It finally booted. It seems that the ribbon cpu data cable had issues. So, with your help I was able to track it down and away she went.

I had a few problems to get it to accept the authorization number and I expect that to happen again when I incorporate it back into the studio.

Either way, KUDO's to all. Where shall I send the case of beer. (seriously)

I have all 24 tracks working in analog so when I plug it into digital expect me to be back on the forum for more Q&A.

Only thing not working is the LED readout display on the EQ top right panel. If this can be fixed without destroying what I've accomplished, now would be the time to repair it. I can't find any reference to it on the forum. Need help.

Once again, you guys' ROCK and I can't thank you enough.

The best of both worlds to you all. (Rock and Roll)

Phil
flipflop

Postby Phil.c » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:58 am

Good news, as for the display, probably a ribbon connector if it was working before, but from memory not easy to get to?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby flipflop » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:42 pm

Hello again...

I'm back with new problems, and I was hoping for some more input.

There are still hiccups with the DSP but upon investigating I found that the 9 fader bank card was locking and getting REALLY hot.

Is this telling me that the board is fried? Can this be repaired or does it need replacing?

Would this be the problem with the DSP?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
flipflop

Next

Return to d8b Forum