Change font size   Print view

D8b in 2022, has still sense?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8b in 2022, has still sense?

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:23 pm

Old School wrote:Hi all,
For me, the problem with all the new stuff is latency. It's extremely difficult to do overdubs if you're hearing an echo all the time. I've seen engineers blogs about it would take a really fast processor and that the converters are slow and it's essentially a hardware problem. I say that this is total BS. My D8B and HDR were designed in the previous century and with a 433 Mghz processor! I have measured the total latency round trip through the converters and its .4 milliseconds. Thats right, POINT FOUR, not 40, not 4, but .4 milliseconds. How did they achieve this in the year 1998 and they can't do it now? In my opinion the offerings of the console and recording equipment are controlled by other big corporate interests (like Record companies), because while the quality of sample rate may have gone up, needed features are being dropped like tape ins and outs and lightpipe connectivity (usb and dante cannot and never will hold a candle to lightpipe for latency). They are scared that some talented person with a home studio will produce hit records and this is competition which cannot be allowed. People get too focused on the quality of the sampling (which few, if any can notice a difference) and not the quality of the engineer, because if you have the talent, you can make a recording equal or better in quality to any commercial offering with the D8B and if you don't, then even a $200,000 Rupert Neve 5088 will not help you. For production recording of bands there is nothing out there today under 50K that can do what the D8B and HDR can do, nothing.

Have a blessed day,
Mike

BOOM

The Hammer of Thor...

Very eloquently stated, Mike!

{raucous applause}
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member