Change font size   Print view

MIDI Tansport and Jog Control in your DAW

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

MIDI Tansport and Jog Control in your DAW

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:37 pm

I must be getting old and forgetful. Around 5 years ago, i had my d8b in a different studio. I was able to set it up in Cubase so that you could use the transport buttons and Jog wheel on the d8b to control the the DAW, and the jog wheel followed position very well. Now that I built a new CPU I am connecting the same way,,,, or so I thought. Does anyone remember how to set this up so it will work correctly? I added a device called MACKIE Control to the studio in Cubase but it does not work. I also set the preferences in Cubase to send MIDI Position and Clock to the d8b. The only thing that works is that the time display in the d8b follows Cubase, but the transport buttons and jog wheel will not work.
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: MIDI Tansport and Jog Control in your DAW

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 pm

I am battling the same thing with Pro Tools and a dxb. Transport works but I can't get jog wheel to function with this set up no matter how hard I try and figure it.
Last edited by Crash on Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:54 pm

I also struggled with setting up the jog wheel while the D8B is in "mixer mode" (it works fine as a jog-wheel, when using it with a ProBox as a MCU. But I have a "real" MCU with a job wheel sitting immediately to the right of the D8B, so I just use the wheel on that one).

I haven't tried in a while, and can see if I can get that wheel to do anything useful in a DAW, while in mixer mode, when I get a chance (...will work on my long-BFC related tasks first, though).

Adding a Mackie Control when intending to use the D8B's transport controls while using it as a Mixer (as opposed to using the build in HUI mode), is not the right approach to get the transport controls to work (not talking about the jog wheel). That would only work if set up that way (albeit selecting a HUI in Cubase instead of an MCU), when you activate HUI mode on the D8B, for channels 17-24... but I think the transport controls then also switch to control the DAW as a HUI.

For the transport buttons to work when in "Mixer mode" (not HUI), you need to turn MMC on for the MIDI port you have the D8B connected to. So, send & receive MMC (MIDI Machine Control) on your D8B MIDI port.

Since the time-display already works, it seems you already have MTC (MIDI Time Code) or SMPTE (via MIDI) going to the D8B. So, you'd just have to activate MMC for the same port (and in Cubase, something like "listen to incoming MMC" - whatever that's called, there).

But again... the jog wheel never really worked right for me in mixer mode, but I didn't care enough. When I get a chance, I'll play around with it a bit (but don't have Cubase... or Pro Tools. I could try with Logic and Studio One).

Best of luck!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:16 pm

Thanks for jogging my memory. I will try that tonight. I had it working years ago and believe me it was very sweet. The jog wheel automatically synced to the quantize value set in Cubase. I thought i posted something about it years ago. I will have to look for it on the forum.

RJ
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:17 pm

WOw! I made a funny and didn't even realize it. get it.... JOG my memory... LOL
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:45 am

hahaha RJG

BTW: I don't use/need the jog on my d8b. I jog on my main Mackie Midi Controller (I have 3 MIDI extenders) which provide 32 ch for my DAW
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 5.43.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 5.43.00 PM.png (Array KiB) Viewed 875 times
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum