Change font size   Print view

Preamp disablement

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Preamp disablement

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:30 pm

I seem to remember that the D8B preamps could be bypassed by removing one of the wires in the XLR, this is for using an outboard preamp, can anyone throw light on this?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Preamp disablement

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:23 pm

I am not familiar with what you speak of.... I always just used analog cards or the line input jacks to interface with external preamps.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:20 pm

If I use my Focusrite ISA 430's mic input, I'm also using their pre amp, the signal goes into the D8b's input pre amp also, so two preamps being used?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:41 pm

I think Crash was suggesting to take the line-out of your external pre, and connect it to a line-in on the D8B - such as to an analog input on an analog card in the Alt I/O slot, for example (...well, it's a DB25... so, really to the patchbay that's connected to... or whatever the route is for that on your end).

Personally, I don't use the D8B for recording and generally only go in digitally, to avoid the D8B's converters (although I use an analog card in the Alt I/O slot right now... but even for that, I'm planning to put in a DIO-8 I have lying around, and use external converters for that).
If I'd make the D8B more central to my workflow, I'd put an 8-channel pre with an ADAT output on the digital patchbay, and patch it to one of the Tape Inputs when recording. This way, I'd avoid the pre-amps AND the converters and get into the D8B at the best possible quality.
I've been looking into that for a while, and had intended to get a "Audient ASP-880" for that. But for flexibility sake, am also considering that "Cranborne Audio" 500-series unit with ADAT output, and then fill it as needed.

But to get back to the original question - I guess your question was really, if there's a way to remove the D8B's pres from inputs 1-12, to get a line signal into the desk without going through the pre or any kind of attenuation?
If so, I don't know... I'd just go in through one of the cards, instead of trying to defeat the D8B pres physically.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:54 pm

Y-my-R wrote:I think Crash was suggesting to take the line-out of your external pre, and connect it to a line-in on the D8B - such as to an analog input on an analog card in the Alt I/O slot, for example (...well, it's a DB25... so, really to the patchbay that's connected to... or whatever the route is for that on your end).

Indeed, I was suggesting that, or using the 1/4 inch jacks on the back of the jackfield of the console.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:21 pm

Yes, I could go through the ALT card, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the line in preamps could bypassed by removing one of the wires on the XLR ....?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:46 pm

Phil.c wrote:Yes, I could go through the ALT card, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the line in preamps could bypassed by removing one of the wires on the XLR ....?

I don't see how. Seems at best you would just make the signal unbalanced. I used analog cards as it seemed the cleanest way to go in, or do your conversion before the console and come in digitally.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby nuss » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:29 am

i beleive using the Insert return on channels 1-12 will bypass the preamp completly. yes youll be going balanced to unbalanced but that shouldnt matter at that run.
nuss

Postby Phil.c » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:11 am

I'll give that a try :)
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:55 am

Watch Level when using the Insert's. I don't recall what voltage level they are (in dB). -10dbu, is common, sometimes it is 0dBu, and sometimes it is +4dBu. Depends on console. All of thoughs are likely High Impedance.
I believe the Analog I/O cards are +4dBu.
Just a consideration!
Hope things work!
Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum